This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

One of the biggest parts of university life is moving away from home. To some it is daunting, and to others, it is a dream come true. One of the most popular coming-of-age tropes is “people waste their time feeling desperate to leave their hometown,” perhaps in search of more opportunities or even a way to find the best version of themselves. If you ever do try to leave Toronto, you will definitely long for it and try to find a way to make it back.

One of my favourite things about Toronto is how there is always some place to have a sit-down meal, no matter the time of day. There is nothing quite like eating a stack of pancakes at two in the morning after a night out. An Italian bakery I frequently visit serves meatball sandwiches and lasagna well into the night. My special treat after a late night of studying has to be a meal from a family-owned burger joint that, in my humble opinion, makes the best burgers in the city. One time I went on a random Thursday night at three in the morning after finishing an assignment, expecting to be the only customer.  To my surprise, the place was packed, with a line that wrapped around the joint. I feel at home knowing I’m not the only one with late-night snacking habits.

I look forward to being downtown any chance I can get. I always insist on taking the highway instead of the side roads because the drive is scenic, especially at nighttime. I get excited to see what colour the CN Tower is lit each time I drive past it. Once you get off the highway and are driving past the skyscrapers, it’s thrilling to see how busy the city is on any given night. Office buildings and shops with their flashing lights, countless pedestrians talking on the phone while waiting at the crosswalk and the sounds of cars whizzing past. Something I had only noticed this past summer is just how many people own dogs downtown. It seems as though every other person owns a dog. While some may like to drink a cup of coffee at a patio while people watch, I would rather watch dogs passing by.

As much as I love our concrete jungle, spending time in nature is an important part of my daily routine. Some of the most beautiful green spaces and parks I have seen are in Toronto. A few of them are in the heart of downtown, offering a place for students to study on one of the local campuses or a peaceful break for those who work in the nearby skyscrapers. In the summer, my friends and I would get food in the area and eat it in the park. The location is so convenient too, as you can go for a walk around downtown afterwards and find an activity to do.

While moving away to a new city can be a great adventure, nothing beats your hometown, especially if you’re from a place as amazing as Toronto. I’m clearly biased but if you have a free weekend, I would highly recommend making the trip for some great food, beautiful city landscapes and gardens.

Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier University