90s Snacks That Need to Make a Comeback

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

As a baby of the late 90s, I experienced the falling out of the iconic snacks from that decade. I have tried my best to rank the top five, with a few honorable mentions, that need to make a comeback ASAP. This is not a comprehensive list, but I tried my best to choose the snacks I thought best represented the 90s.

5. Fruit Roll-Ups

Whether it be Fruit by the Foot or Fruit Roll-Ups, both snacks began to become less and less popular in the dawn of the 2000s. Did anyone else trade colors with their friends at lunch break? Or does anyone remember the Fruit Roll-Ups with the tongue tattoos? The cherry ones were definitely the absolute best ones, but the limited-edition blue raspberry was pretty good too. 

4. Gushers

An absolute staple in every 90s lunchbox. Thanks to the hit series Uh Oh! on YTV, these became a sensation. These came in a variety of flavors, with some of the more popular including tropical, watermelon, strawberry and grape. 

3. Cosmic Brownies

This is a personal favorite of mine. These fudgy brownies came with an array of colorful sprinkles and made everyone around you jealous. I have this super clear memory of everyone trying to trade at lunch to get one of these. People were trading left, right and center. 

2. Gummy Hot Dogs/Hamburgers

These are definitely more of a lowkey snack, but they are just as iconic as any of the other snacks on this list. They are the perfect gummy candy, and who doesn’t love a mini version of bigger foods?

1. Dunk-A-Roos

The definitively most iconic 90s snack that we need to see make a comeback. Especially the vanilla sprinkle flavor (chocolate was very subpar). Everyone has had Dunk-A-Roos at least once and they never disappoint. They are the perfect combination of icing and cookies, and they never skimp on the amount of icing they give you.

Here are a few honorable mentions that didn’t quite make the list:

OG Lunchables

Teddy Grahams

Cigar Sticks

Baby Bottle Pops

Jaw Breakers

Joe Louis

Pop Rocks

Hubba Bubba

Juicy Drop Pops

Nerd Rope

Danimals Crush Cup

Yogurt Tubes

Cheese Strings

Even though this is not a full list of all the snacks from our childhood, they are some of the best. So, where’s the petition to bring them back?

Taya Smith

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Taya is in her 4th year of her English major with minors in both Psychology and Criminology. When she is not drinking abundant amounts of coffee, you can find her procrastinating her school work by any means necessary. She is passionate about writing and hopes to pursue a career in either education or law.
Sarah McCann

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Sarah is a fourth year Communications and Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University who is passionate abut female empowerment. She is one of two Campus Correspondents for the Laurier Her Campus Chapter! Sarah loves dancing, animals, photography, ice cream, and singing super obnoxiously, in no particular order.