This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

I started working as a teaching assistant (TA) in second year. Every time I hand back assignments, I feel like students hate me for the way I grade them. Being a TA can be really rewarding when I feel like I’m helping students and contributing to their education, yet sometimes I wish I could give some insights to my students so that they can be more successful in their judgement of myself or other TA’s.

1. I am NOT your professor, nor did I create the assignment guidelines

Please, please, please don’t expect me to know as much as your professor. I am not getting paid nearly as much as your prof because I don’t have the experience or education that your prof has.  The assignment was created by the lab coordinator in collaboration with your professor. Your professor believed that you could handle these topics at this point in the course, in the given time limit. I do not have the authority to give you extra time.

2. I do not want to date you

I haven’t had this problem as a TA, but as a first-year student, I remember having peers who were desperately in love with their TA’s. They would find their TA on Bumble or Tinder and immediately screenshot and swipe right just in case. There’s an unspoken rule that TA’s can’t date their students during their teaching term, but once the term is over the rule no longer applies.

Here’s the thing: I see you as being significantly younger than me, I am very familiar with how sloppy your writing is and how you like to take short cuts in your work. I have seen how rude you are in the lab. I have literally no desire to date you. If you see me on a dating app, know that it’s because I don’t want to activate my account just to delete it.

3. I am not getting paid to “teach” you

My job responsibility is to answer questions that help you complete the labs and to mark the lab assignments. I am not supposed to be teaching you new concepts. You have to go to class and learn the course content the way your prof and textbook explain it.

4. I don’t know your prof

I took this course between one and three years ago, so I likely had a different professor teach this content to me. I don’t necessarily know how your prof explains things. There’s a possibility that I have never spoken to your professor, ever. I meet with the lab coordinators, and the lab coordinators meet with the professors to determine when content will be covered.

5. I did not create the marking scheme (and yes, there is a marking scheme)

I’m not marking you based on how much I like you. I want to be consistent with the other TA’s, so if you don’t show your work or explain yourself, I can’t give you free marks.

6. Please stop asking questions all at once

If you ask questions, I will try to help you – especially if you’re working on the lab assignment by yourself. Make sure you’re using your lab notes, textbook and course notes before you ask questions though. Remember, I’m not here to re-teach you things that were covered in class. If you notice that everyone has their hand up, talk to the person beside you to see if they understand the specific concept that you’re struggling with.

7. Please stop copying each other

I really do not want to deal with cheating. I could not be bothered to fill out the paperwork, mostly because I still don’t know everyone’s names.

You think you’re being subtle by checking your answers with everyone in the room, but it is so obvious when I’m marking who worked very closely together. The more effort you put into doing your own assignment and the more you try to connect things you have learned in class, the better off you will be on the final exam.

8. Read the instructions

If you want a good mark in the lab assignments, read the questions carefully. They will state what method to use and how many marks each question is worth. I haven’t memorized the assignment, recall fact #1. Read the question again once you think you’ve finished answering it to ensure you’ve come to the right conclusion.

9. I want you to do well

I really do. So do your professors, academic advisors and lab coordinators. I know you’re overwhelmed with other courses right now, but trying your best in the lab components will help you in the midterm and exam components. Ultimately, feedback from your lab assignments should be used to improve your technique before exams.

Please just try to be considerate of me during the last few weeks of the term. I’m a student too.  Don’t be afraid to ask me questions when you’re really confused. I hope your last few weeks of the term go well!

Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier University
Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her