This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

With Valentine’s Day coming up, it can be tempting to watch romantic comedies. The problem with some of these films is that even if they are incredibly cheesy, you still need to see the end to know they end up together. I have noticed that there are some great love stories depicted in music videos, where you will not have to wait as long to see how it ends.

Another benefit to watching love stories in music videos? You don’t have to hear awkward conversations and small talk at the beginning.

Wildest Dreams – Taylor Swift

This is probably my favourite Taylor Swift music video ever. The lighting and backdrop set the stage for a love story between two actors, taking place in Africa on a movie shoot in the 1950s. Although proceeds were donated to wild animal conservation efforts, at the time of release it had received criticism for a lack of representation of people of colour.

Perfect – Ed Sheeran

How could you not fall in love with your best friend while skiing and snowboarding on the mountains in Austria? It seemed a little strange that there was a karaoke scene and everyone but Sheeran was singing in his music video, but a special appearance by Ed Sheeran’s cat, Calippo, was much appreciated. Dancing outside a cabin in the snow was also a nice, romantic touch.

You Belong With Me – Taylor Swift

First of all, thank you Taylor for giving everyone this iconic song to sing along to when our crushes find love elsewhere. Secondly, if you are a fan of the best-friends-first-before-falling-in-love plot, you will appreciate this music video.

What a Man Gotta Do – Jonas Brothers

I’m not sure what part of the music video I enjoyed more – the fact that the brothers had their wives play their love interests in the video or the fact that they recreated classic 70s & 80s rom-coms. Joe & Sophie recreated the dancehall scene in “Grease,” Kevin & Danielle imitated the boom-box scene in “Say Anything,” and Nick & Priyanka portrayed the dance scene from “Risky Business.”

Adore You – Harry Styles

If you haven’t seen this music video yet, you have to. Stop what you’re doing and open the YouTube app.

It portrays a hopeless love story about Harry’s character and a fish that keeps outgrowing his fishbowls. Is it supposed to symbolize that we grow as people and then no longer fit in the original mold of the relationship? Is it supposed to symbolize that we spend too much time looking at silly things (i.e. our phones)? Feel free to let me know.

Love Story – Taylor Swift

Why watch two hours of Romeo and Juliet when you can watch this semi-modern interpretation of a Shakespeare classic? Warning: You may want to live in a castle after watching this video too many times, and there are not many landlords renting out castles in Waterloo…

Love Someone – Lukas Graham

This music video is a montage of multiple couples and families of different colours and ages. It is full of feel-good vibes, plus it’s the sweetest song.

Ours – Taylor Swift

Can anyone imagine Taylor Swift working in a cubicle? I can’t, but it is definitely relatable. While sitting in her cubicle, Swift can be seen daydreaming about her significant other in the military. You will want to see the end of this one for feel-good reasons.  

Speechless (Wedding Video) – Dan & Shay

This video is a compilation of footage from their respective weddings. Both of their brides looked STUNNING and everyone is flawless in these shots.

I’m sure I missed an obvious love story captured in a music video, but feel free to let me know which one is your favourite! I hope these fulfill some of your chick flick desires this month!

Loral Christie

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Loral is a recent graduate of business and financial math at Laurier. When she is not laughing at math puns, she enjoys running 10k's, analyzing Taylor Swift lyrics and photography. You can probably find her at the local Dairy Queen buying another ice cream cake.
Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her