This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

I don’t know about you, but with the current situation, I’m spending more time than I would like to be on social media, including the temporary media sharing platform that is Snapchat. The app has so much more than just fun filters and I thought I would share with you some of these features that I’ve noticed.

Figure out what song is playing

Shazam is built into Snapchat, so if you want to find out what song is playing, you can! Open the camera and hold your finger down for 10-15 seconds. The artist and song should pop up and if you click on it, you can even see the lyrics from Apple Music.

Solve your math problems

Photomath is also built into Snapchat. Using the back-facing camera, you can “scan” a math problem and it will attempt to solve it (basic functions like addition and subtraction, but also more advanced things like integrals). If you’re using it to replace a calculator that’s fine, but we do not endorse cheating at Her Campus Wilfrid Laurier.

Determine your sun sign compatibility with people

If you look at your “friendship” with someone on Snapchat, the app has generated some information about your relationship. Firstly, it takes your birth dates and determines the sun sign compatibility – this eliminates awkwardly asking someone’s birthday or sign to google it yourself. Secondly, it will show you when you became friends, etc.

You can pin friends to the top of your list

Are you tired of always searching your Snapchat screen for a certain person?  I’ve recently discovered this pin feature on Snapchat so that you can pin a favorite recipient and sender.

Hands-free videos!

If you hold down the record button and swipe your thumb slightly to the left (there’s a little lock symbol), you can access hands-free recording. This way you’re free to tell stories with your hands, do makeup tutorials on Snapchat or just take videos from further away. It also means that you can flip the front and back-facing camera within a video.

Check the weather

My favorite graphic to add to a Snapchat is the current temperature. I don’t why I’m obsessed with telling people how cold it is; it’s probably a small-town thing.

Check how fast you’re going

As a passenger, it can be awkward to ask the driver how fast they’re going, especially when it feels particularly fast or slow.  Save your neck the strain and snap a pic on Snapchat to easily check their speed.

I hope you learned something new through this article! If you’ve learned any cool new (or new to you!) features on popular apps, let me know!

Loral Christie

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Loral is a recent graduate of business and financial math at Laurier. When she is not laughing at math puns, she enjoys running 10k's, analyzing Taylor Swift lyrics and photography. You can probably find her at the local Dairy Queen buying another ice cream cake.
Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her