Wellness

7 Hidden Gems Across Ontario I Want to Visit After the Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Thinking about where we stand right now is hard to grasp. One of the hardest parts about living during a pandemic is the amount of uncertainty, particularly in regard to when it’ll all end. I know I’ve tried to find things to excite me for the days when we can finally roam free, travel and be with friends and family. The following list has seven destinations in Ontario that I’d love to visit once I can!

1. Torrance Barrens Dark Sky Preserve

Only a two-hour drive north of Toronto, the Torrance Barrens Dark Sky Preserve is the perfect road trip for a nighttime getaway. This attraction offers breathtaking views of the night sky up near Ontario’s cottage country. This hidden gem would be perfect for those with a cottage nearby or for those looking to rent one for a few nights away from home. After seeing pictures of this preserve, you won’t hesitate to add it to your bucket list.

2. The Grotto (Tobermory)

Approximately four hours from Toronto, The Grotto is located in the Northern Bruce Peninsula. If you’ve ever heard of Tobermory, this is it. With water as blue as it gets, this attraction is high up on many people’s summer bucket lists. Also, The Grotto is a great place for those who love to hike! With some amazing views, this isn’t one you’ll want to pass up.

3. The Cheltenham Badlands

A quick 45-minute drive from Toronto will land you at the breathtaking Cheltenham Badlands! This area offers trails to walk around the red hills, gorgeous photo opportunities and the perfect distance from the city for a day trip. Located in Caledon, Ontario, the Cheltenham Badlands gives the impression of an escape from everyday life.

4. Inglis Falls

Located about two-and-a-half hours outside of Toronto, the Inglis Falls provides an amazing hiking trail experience with a gorgeous reward at the end! These falls are one of three that surround the city of Owen Sound. Imagine the feeling of standing next to a waterfall…feels good doesn’t it? Bring a good pair of shoes and you’ll be set!

5. Devil’s Punchbowl Conservation Area

If you’re looking for an incredible site to visit, this is for you. The Devil’s Punchbowl is located in Stoney Creek, just under an hour from Toronto. The name says it all as it truly seems like a large bowl, however, with multi-coloured layers across the inside and a 34-metre ribbon waterfall, this is a truly fascinating sight.

6. Greig’s Caves

Another location in the Bruce Peninsula is Greig’s Caves! These caves offer entry for only $10 and seem to be completely worth it! They are a self-guided experience, allowing visitors to explore as they please through some fascinating areas. However, without proper footwear, this could be quite a dreadful experience.

7. Between the Line’s Winery

This Niagara-on-the-Lake winery offers a different, yet equally beautiful experience in Ontario. For those of legal age, a day or two to escape to a winery would be the perfect way to celebrate social gatherings again! Owned by two brothers, supporting this winery feels (and tastes) good!

Unfortunately, these destinations seem far away in our current lives. However, once COVID-19 wraps up, hop in a car with some friends or loved ones and experience some beautiful sights! Life is too short to stay in the same town forever.

XO

Olivia Egan

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Third year Psychology student at WLU
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!