This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

A lot of people do their makeup to feel more confident about themselves, to express themselves or just for fun. And while it can be incredibly satisfying to nail that difficult winged eyeliner, there are a lot of things that can make your beauty routine more frustrating than it needs to be. There are several makeup life hacks out there to make your routine go by a little smoother.

1. Check your makeup under different lighting

It’s an all-too-common dilemma to do your makeup feeling fantastic only to see your makeup in a public washroom later in the day and think, “Have I been walking around like that all day?” To make sure your makeup is blended the way you want it to be and that it isn’t too harsh on your skin, make sure to check it under at least two different lights before leaving your house.

2. Concealer

This is already something I often see in Instagram makeup tutorials, but it’s still important to point out. When applying concealer, make sure to apply it as a triangle under your eye, going alongside the bridge of your nose instead of just dotting the concealer right under your eyes. This will brighten your face and cover dark circles. It will also make your skin tone look more even as the concealer is more spread out.

3. Frizzy hair

If you notice you have really frizzy hair after drying your hair with a towel, try switching to drying it with a cotton shirt. The shirt will minimize the friction and leave you with less frizz to deal with.

4. Long wet hair

It’s very common for those with long hair to wrap their hair around with a large towel and pile it on their head. Even though it looks very stylish and can make you feel like you’re the lead in an Herbal Essences shampoo commercial, it is very harmful to your hair. The large towel on top of your head can cause breakage and damage your hair. Instead, it’s best to wrap a small towel around your hair, but without twisting it or piling it on top of your head. This will leave your hair healthy.

5. Eyebrows

If you find your eyebrows doing their own thing throughout the day instead of staying in place, there are many eyebrow gels out there to help you out. However, there’s also several things you can find at home to use for your brows without breaking the bank. You can use Vaseline or soap to help them stay in place. To use soap, wet a bar of soap and gently rub a clean, reusable mascara or brow brush into the soap and then brush your brows into the position you want them to be in. To use Vaseline, you can do the same thing. If they turn out too wet, you can always dab a tissue over top or try again.

6. Flaky mascara

Mascara is only supposed to be used for a few months or else it can lead to the risk of a build-up of bacteria. However, if your mascara dries up before its time, you can add a few drops of saline solution to bring it back to life.

These were only a few life hacks, but hopefully, you’ve found one that can help ease your routine in the future. Remember that makeup is just something you can do, not something you have to do. The key is to be comfortable and confident in whatever you want to do for your routine.

Nadica Terzieva

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Nadica is a fourth year sociology, English and French student with a passion for languages and the arts. She loves to travel and lives for live concerts. When she isn't downing French vanilla coffees, you can find her typing away at her laptop.
Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her