6 Free & Easy Crochet Tutorials to Help You Keep Up with TikTok’s Latest Trend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

TikTok has been a huge influence on popular culture for a couple of years now, and that’s only been amplified throughout the pandemic. The social media platform that had us all bleach tie-dyeing lounge sets, whipping our coffee and baking loaves of bread last spring now has us infatuated with corsetry, baked feta pasta and… crochet? Yes, you read that right. This hobby is all the rage on TikTok right now, and I for one am super excited about it.

I first learned how to crochet as a kid, but at the time lacked the motivation to make more than some chains or a couple of granny squares. However, I revisited the hobby a couple years ago when I wanted a warm headband to get me through the winter, and this time it has stuck. What surprised me most when I came back to crocheting was just how beginner-friendly it is – even though I was re-learning essentially from scratch, I was still able to make something useful and cute!

As much as crocheting is easy to get the hang of, it can still be hard to know where to get started when you aren’t familiar with the terminology. If you’re want to learn how to crochet, here are some video tutorials I recommend following to ease you into it. Before you know it, you’ll be a pro!

Simple Crochet Scrunchie

I highly recommend following along with a video tutorial for the first couple of projects you try, because when you’re first learning everything, having a visual aid can be a game changer. Pair a helpful video tutorial with a small-but-mighty hair accessory, and you have yourself the ideal first crochet project! This scrunchie tutorial breaks down each step slowly and clearly, so won’t have to worry about searching up strange terminology or need outside resources teaching you how to do the stitches. Also making it a great first project is the short amount of time it’ll take to complete – between the size of the project and the half double crochet stitch that makes up most of the scrunchie, it’ll take no more than an hour or two! While that’s not exactly instant gratification, it’s pretty dang good if you ask me.

Two-Strand Crochet Headband

This tutorial is the one I followed when making my first crochet project a couple years ago, and it made crocheting my headband extremely straightforward! The hardest part of it was managing two strands of yarn at once, but even that was pretty easy to get accustomed to. My favourite thing about this pattern is that it shouldn’t take more than one evening to finish it, and then you’re rewarded with a super cozy winter accessory!

Basic Crochet Bralette Top

While I preferred to keep it simple when I first started out, I recognize that some people might be feeling a bit more ambitious. With that in mind, here is a super cute bralette top tutorial! My own hesitance towards crocheting tops was having to match a gauge and making sure the garment would fit when all was said and done. However, this tutorial avoids that completely by giving general instructions without including a specific number of stitches or rows, and instead explaining how to determine how many stitches/rows you’ll need based on your preferences. This is definitely a little bit harder than the previously mentioned tutorials, but with lots of pausing and rewinding, crocheting this top is a goal within reach for sure.

Boho Basket-Style Plant Holder

If you aren’t keen on the idea of crocheting yourself a whole new wardrobe but still want in on this trend, room décor is the way to go. I love the look of the basket in this tutorial and especially in its recommended application as a plant pot holder; that said, it would also look great if used for storage, or if made super large, a hamper. Having to crochet over the jute rope that gives the basket structure might sound a bit complicated for a beginner, but it’s actually quite straightforward once you get it started.

Harry Styles/JW Anderson-Inspired Cardigan (& Bucket Hat)

TBH, I wouldn’t consider this project to be beginner-friendly, since it contains so many different components that need to be sewn together. However, seeing as this cardigan has contributed significantly to the surging popularity of crochet, I can’t help but give it a mention. Something I love about this tutorial is the way it’s broken into different parts – and while the project as a whole might be a bit too daunting for a newbie, the first couple of steps are really basic and achievable for crochet hobbyists of any skill level! I think this would be a fun project to start while learning the ropes and revisit as you get more comfortable with your crochet abilities.

If you want to take your cardigan ‘fit one step further, you have to check out this tutorial for the matching bucket hat! Matching sets are all the rage right now, and I can’t think of one that would be better than this.

These tutorials just start to show what can be made by crocheting. From blankets to sweaters, bags to stuffed animals, the options are endless. Don’t believe me? Just look to Pinterest or YouTube, and you’ll see for yourself! As crochet has been a really calming hobby of mine for a couple of years now, I’m glad to see that it’s finally getting the attention and hype it deserves. If you’re just discovering this incredible hobby, I hope you’re feeling inspired by some of the patterns above and come to love this craft as much as me. Now what are you waiting for – pick up a hook and start crocheting!

Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her