This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Final essay deadlines and exams are fast approaching, so for most students, it’s hard to find the time to head out to the mall and get Christmas shopping over with.  Here are some easy DIY gift ideas so you don’t have to stress about your budget and hours spent shopping at the mall in the Christmas chaos!

Personalized Plates or Coffee Mugs

If you have an artistic flair with markers, this is an affordable and simple gift for your mom, grandparents, or even your roommates! Plain coffee cups or plates from the dollar store and a Sharpie is all you need to create personalized dishes that you can give as gifts. Put initials, a meaningful quote, or a cool design on each dish! Giving out something personal and meaningful that is used daily is always a great idea. Interesting fact: if you bake the dishes in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, the Sharpie will permanently stick to the dishes and allow for safe use.

One-Of-A-Kind Notebooks

If you have a skill at sewing, this is a useful and simple gift for anyone.  Personalize a boring dollar store notebook and make it look like a million dollars. All you need is fabric, thread, sequence, beads, and any other craft supplies you want to use. If you aren’t gifted at sewing, there are alternate options to decorating notebooks as well. For example, decorative tape is a simpler way to redesign a notebook, and you can usually find this at Wal-Mart or craft stores.

Decorative Beer Bottles

If you’re stuck on a gift idea for your boyfriend, brother, dad, or any other male figure in your life, decorating beer bottles to look festive is a simple gift idea (for anyone legal drinking age, of course).  It enhances a boring case of beer and adds personality to the gift.

Dolled-Up Baking Ingredients

Instead of doing the baking yourself, look up a recipe, grab a bunch of ingredients, and put it in a decorative jar as a gift! That way, your gift receiver doesn’t have to worry about eating all your baked goodies fast before they go bad.  They can make their own treats at their own pace and at a time that is convenient for them.  You can also try out Candy Cane Vodka in a jar, or a homemade Ice Cream Sunday kit. There are many alternative recipes out there, so explore various ideas online! 

Unique Cell Phone Cases

Decorating a boring-looking cell phone case is another creative and inexpensive idea to give as a gift. You can go to a craft store and pick out the supplies you want to fit the style of the person you’re giving the case to. Again, you can’t go wrong with a personalized gift that is extremely versatile (as long as you make sure to buy the correct phone case)!

Handmade Jewellery                      

DIY jewellery is not only a chance to present your creative side, but you can design something specifically to fit the style of your friend or family member. Not only will you shine with pride when you see them wearing your beautiful creation, but they will love flaunting the fact that they have a handmade piece of jewellery from someone important to them. The Bead Boutique in Kitchener has all your jewellery-making needs at an affordable price; they have supplies to make rings, necklaces, bracelets, and more!

Get DIY-ing and share with us some of your best creations on Facebook and Twitter

Veronica Puistonen

Wilfrid Laurier

Contributing Writer for the WLU Campus Chapter. Fourth year Honours Communication Studies student. 
Andreia McLean

Wilfrid Laurier