Anna Schultz-Socks And Laptop In Bed
Anna Schultz-Socks And Laptop In Bed
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

6 Digital-Friendly Date Ideas for Long-Distance Lovers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Distance sucks. There, I said it. But the relationship you get to share with the other person? Speaking from experience, it is totally worth it. In the digital age of the internet, we’re lucky to have so many ways of communication and different activities to do in order to stay connected. So here are some fun ways to stay connected with one another, get your date on in COVID times or spend time with your partner in your long-distance relationship.

Play online games

This is probably one of my favourites and something that I do as a date night activity, especially during the months of quarantine. Get your competitive side on by challenging your partner in Words with Friends 2, 8-ball pool or even Monopoly. There are also endless options for online co-op games like Stardew Valley and Minecraft. I’ve even enjoyed watching my boyfriend share his screen while he plays games like Subnautica and Resident Evil 2 because they have such a cinematic feel and intense storyline.

Go on a walk

Grab your phone and earphones, and get your sneakers on! Have a chat over the phone while you both enjoy the great outdoors with a walk in the park or just around your own neighbourhoods. Take a break from your screens, stretch your legs and do some outdoor bonding.

Do your own thing together

Life gets busy, especially since we’re all back in school again. Sometimes you don’t even need to be doing something special but just want to spend some time together with the other person. Try scheduling a video call while you both have a study session, surf the internet or just do anything so you both get some leisurely hang out time.

Movie night

Download a Google Extension (Netflix Party, Metastream) to stream a movie or TV show together at the same time. My top recommendations include Superbad (2007), New Girl (2011-18) and the classic, Friends (1994-2004).

You can even share some of your favourite YouTube videos! I really enjoy Vine and TikTok compilations; they’re super funny and can create some fun references between you and your partner.

Get to know each other better

Distance doesn’t mean you can’t be intimate with your significant other! You can never know too much about the other person and here’s your chance to even try. Here’s an endless list of questions to ask your partner to get to know each other even better. You can even find out your love language!

Dinner date

While this one is simple and self-explanatory, you still get to spend some dedicated time with each other! Whether it’s takeout or a home cooked meal, video call each other and share a meal together. If you’re feeling adventurous, you could try cooking the same recipe together or creating your own at-home chopped challenge for each other!

I hope these digital date activities will help you feel closer to your partner and create a stronger bond. Happy date night!

Millicent Hofung

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Millicent Hofung is a fourth year Marketing student and completing a Communications minor. She loves fashion, reading & listening to true crime podcasts. She exclusively gets nude manicures, can't say no to another houseplant and is very easily amused. Find her on Instagram @millicent.jasmine.