This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Throughout their four years at Laurier, Mary and Rachael have come across many different and unique kinds of English professors. Each has something different to offer. Some honestly terrify them, but they wouldn’t change their incredible experiences and they appreciate everything they’ve learned from these people.

1. Strict and Scary

This professor is one that you will definitely have at least once in your time at Laurier. You will know them when you see them, and the fear will be real. There’s nothing you can do about it but play by their rules and keep your head down. They won’t be easy to please, but it isn’t an automatic fail either. Just do your best and take the L if you have them.

2. Light and Quirky

These professors will brighten your day with their humour and bubbly personalities. They are the stereotypical, fun-loving English teachers we all know and love. They may have unconventional methods to teach at certain times, (like finger puppets), but you will love them, nevertheless. Projects are usually pretty easy and can be fun to do. There shouldn’t be anything you can’t handle with this prof and prepare to actually enjoy going to class.

3. Really Nice but Don’t Plan on Getting your Grades Back Quickly

These professors mean well, and you’ll love having them, but don’t expect quick marking. To be fair, English courses require a ton of writing and therefore it’ll take time for everything to be given back to you. However, these professors fall behind and you’ll experience a little more anxiety and impatience with them.

4. The One You Would Definitely Get a Beer With

These English professors make great conversation and seem cool in and outside of the classroom. They’re extremely knowledgeable and passionate about their subject. If they were ever at a bar, Rachael and Mary would buy them a beer. These are the professors that are easy to talk to, not judgmental and it feels like they were a student not that long ago.

5. The Ones That Go On and On and On

These professors are a little too knowledgeable about their subject. They have so much to say that it can feel like a lot to take in. Often, we find that they tend to go over the time slot they are given. We can respect the passion, but not at 8:30 in the morning… or at any time for that matter.

Every English professor is unique and adds to the experience of Laurier. Over the course of your undergrad, you’ll probably meet all of them at least once. At least now you’ll be a little more prepared and don’t be afraid, just read the damn books.

Mary Shanahan

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Mary is a fourth-year English student at Wilfrid Laurier University.
Rachael Stevens

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Rachael is a fourth-year English major at Laurier, with a double minor in German and psychology.
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!