Wellness > Health

5 Incredibly Quick, Easy and Tasty Plant-Based Lunches

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

I recently made the switch to a plant-based lifestyle and have not regretted it for a second! It has introduced me to new foods and a new appreciation for food. Now, cooking is relaxing and a time for me to get creative and try new recipes. Even if you are not vegan/vegetarian/plant-based, these foods will definitely satisfy your taste buds! Please enjoy my go-to lunches that are perfect for someone with a busy schedule!

Hummus Bread

Ingredients:

• Favourite type of bread (I prefer rye for this)
  • Hummus
  • Cucumber
  • Carrots
  • Everything But the Bagel seasoning

Instructions: Start by toasting your bread then spreading the hummus on top. Slice up cucumbers and shred some carrots. Place veggies on top of the hummus bread. To finish off, sprinkle Everything But the Bagel seasoning on top to tie all the flavours together. Sounds so simple and bland, but it is surprisingly flavourful and satisfying!

“Egg” Salad Sandwich

Ingredients:

• Bread
  • ¼ Can of chickpeas
  • Half an avocado
  • Salt & pepper
  • Red onion
  • Vegan mayo (optional)
  • Honey mustard (optional)

Instructions: Start by toasting your bread. While the bread is toasting, grab a bowl and mash your chickpeas and avocado together. Chop up red onions and add to the mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste as well as vegan mayo and honey mustard for extra flavour. Once the bread is toasted, add your mixture in between the bread as well as any other toppings you would like (tomato, lettuce, etc.).

Vegan Veggie Ramen

Ingredients:

• Ramen packet
  • Carrots
  • Cabbage
  • Mushrooms
  • Tofu
  • Seeds
  • Green onions
  • Sesame oil

Instructions: Start by cutting tofu into cubes and coating them in seeds (preferably sesame, but I have also been using flax recently). Add sesame oil (or olive oil if that is what you have) to a pan and brown the tofu. Put your ramen noodles in a pot and begin to boil. While noodles are boiling, chop your carrots, cabbage, mushrooms and green onions. If you prefer softer vegetables, I recommend adding the harder vegetables into the boiling water about 5 minutes before they are completely cooked. Once fully cooked, add the broth, noodles, vegetables and tofu to a bowl. Finish it off by topping it with green onions.

Chickpea Salad

Ingredients:

• Chickpeas
  • Cucumbers
  • Peppers
  • Red onion
  • Avocado
  • Salt & pepper
  • Lime (juice)
  • Olive oil

Instructions: Start by cutting cucumbers, peppers, red onions and avocados into bite-size pieces. Add vegetables and (rinsed) chickpeas together in a bowl. Then add lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper on top and toss to coat all ingredients evenly. Then enjoy a very refreshing, easy and filling salad! I would also like to add that you can use whatever vegetables are your favourite in the salad. I am not the biggest tomato fan so I replaced tomatoes with peppers! Just add whatever you like best!

Cilantro Lime Chick’n wraps

Ingredients:

• Wrap
  • Cabbage
  • Lettuce
  • Tomato
  • Red onion
  • Avocado
  • Cilantro
  • Paprika
  • Lime
  • Cilantro & Lime sauce
  • Gardein crispy fingers (chipotle and lime flavour)

Instructions: Begin by cooking the Gardein chick’n strips in the oven at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. While cooking, cut up cabbage, lettuce, tomato, avocado and red onion. Add whatever other veggies you think may taste good! Prepare your wrap by assembling all the ingredients on top. When the chick’n fingers are done add sauce, cilantro and paprika. The secret ingredient and the ingredient that ties all the flavours together is the juice from a slice of lime! Drizzle the juice on top of the wrap and ENJOY!

The key to fully enjoying plant-based foods is to try and replicate your favourite meals that you eat with meat or dairy products! Even if you are not vegan/vegetarian/plant-based, I hope you try out and enjoy some of these quick, easy and tasty lunches!

Maya Allen

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Maya is a third-year communications major and global studies minor. Her passions include traveling, helping others, staying active, cooking and Harry Styles.