5 Easy Ways to Show Your Goldenhawk Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Laurier is one of the most spirited universities in Ontario. It is easy to recognize fellow Golden Hawks by the swag and obvious pride we have in our purple and gold. As we come back from our very first Fall Reading Week, some of us may need a boost to get back into the swing of being back at Laurier. Here are some ways to show your school spirit this semester! 

1. Purchase Laurier Clothing 

The Laurier Bookstore and Hawkshop might be slightly pricey, but it is worth the money to own clothing that you can wear for the rest of your life. Even after you graduate, there is no shame in rockin’ that Laurier gear!  It is a great way to not only show your school spirit, but to make a bold statement that you really are proud to be here! You can check out the online clothing selection here.

2. Take Photos with Laurier’s Mascots

Get your picture taken with the hawk or with Sir Wilfrid Laurier himself! These photos will be great memorabilia for when you look back on your Laurier years. There is always an easy opportunity to grab a photo with Wilf, as he is located right in the middle of the quad! As for the hawk, he is a little trickier; try to tag him down at one of Laurier’s events and get that snapshot! It is well worth the chase!

3. Join a Club

Sure, most clubs may have settled down for Fall semester, but many will open up again in January, Her Campus Wilfrid Laurier being one of them! Do not be afraid to reach out and participate in what the school has to offer you; not only are you showing off your pride by getting involved, but you will meet fellow Goldenhawks that share the same interests and aspirations as you! Click here for a full list of clubs to choose from and reach out!

4. Indulge in Purple and Gold

Of course we have all heard of the classic “accent nail,” so why not make it Laurier-styled? Are you skilled at bracelet making? These may be small ways to show your school spirit, but by simply adding the Laurier colours to your everyday wardrobe, you are constantly reminding yourself (and others) how important Laurier is to you!  

5. Attend Events

Last but not least, attend events! Nothing pumps you up more than cheering on the football team, or spending weekends at the Turret with other honorary Goldenhawks! Check out some of the many events Laurier offers here. Get yourself out there and have your pride acknowledged! It’s great to be a Laurier Goldenhawk!   

Veronica Puistonen

Wilfrid Laurier

Contributing Writer for the WLU Campus Chapter. Fourth year Honours Communication Studies student. 
Andreia McLean

Wilfrid Laurier