5 Easy Steps to Make Your Own Sweet Escape

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Feeling the post-reading week blues? Whether you’re posting throwbacks or your feed is being bombarded with pictures of friends who traveled to sunny destinations, the week after reading week can be filled with regret of not going away or wishing you were still on a beach. 

Like me, you may have been in stuck in the cold for reading week. As much as I loved spending the break relaxing and visiting with friends, a little sunshine and warmth would have been nice. So I decided to create my own sweet escape within the comforts of my apartment and without breaking the bank! 

The Sweet Escape is a cute and easy treat to share with friends. Simply dip pineapple (soaked in spice rum) into white chocolate and add a little colour with some sweet sprinkles.

All you have to do is follow these five steps:

1. Slice pineapple into even ¾ inch pieces.

A pre-cored and peeled pineapple works best. Once cut, divide each slice into six pieces. One pineapple will make about 25 pieces. 

2. Soak them.

Place pineapple into a large container and pour in 375 mL of spiced rum.  Leave the pineapple to soak for 4 hours. Depending on your taste preference and how strong you want it to be, remember that the longer you let it soak the stronger the taste will be. 

3. Dip them.

Warm up white chocolate chips in microwave. Be careful to not burn the chips. It is best to heat them up in small increments of time and stir in between until chips are fully melted. Strain the pineapple and pat dry with paper towel. Pick up the pineapple with a tooth pick and then dip into melted white chocolate. 

4. Add a little colour.

After you have let the excess white chocolate drip off, take a pinch of sprinkles and put them on the white chocolate before it starts to harden.  The sprinkles are a great way to incorporate a party theme or a colour scheme. 

5. Enjoy.

Place the coated pineapple onto parchment paper or cupcake liners.  Let the treats sit for about 15 minutes in the freezer. Finally, enjoy sharing with friends while dreaming of being in a warm sunny place!

These treats are just a little way to treat yo’self while getting through the last couple weeks of winter. Enjoy your Sweet Escape! 

Alexandra Smith

Wilfrid Laurier

Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem