This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

With warm weather coming quickly, who isn’t excited for mimosas under the sun? Although I do love chain brunch spots like Cora’s or Sunset Grill, there are so many local spots that serve up a good brunch that I still dream about it. If you’re like me and love brunch, here are some spots in the GTA perfect for post lockdown visits.

1. Corner Cafe (Markham)

Corner Cafe is a Taiwanese brunch spot serving up some unique and delicious items. Located on Hwy 7 and Bullock, the cafe is popular for its fried chicken and waffles. They serve crispy pieces of chicken fried to perfection on a bed of perfectly cooked waffles, which are perfect with maple syrup or their house special, spicy mayo! Not only is this cute spot serving up savoury brunch plates, but they’ve got so many options for your sweet tooth. My personal favourite is the coconut custard toast. The decadent custard sits on top of soft pillowy brioche bread with a generous sprinkle of shredded coconut for a perfect bite of sweetness. Pair any one of their dishes with their wide variety of bubble teas or classic coffee. Be sure to check out Corner Cafe if you’re looking for an Asian-inspired brunch spot in Markham!

2. Light Cafe (Toronto)

If you haven’t seen the infamous brunch box on TikTok then you’re missing out! The most adorable café, tucked away on Baldwin St in the hustle and bustle of downtown Toronto, is serving up $20 brunch boxes that went viral on TikTok for their affordability and huge portions. The popular box comes with a choice of croissants in tasty flavours like smoked salmon or lobster (extra $5 but worth it), mini pancakes, greens, bacon, sausage, tater tots or waffle fries and eggs. Each item in the box can be customized to your liking (hint: upgrade to the truffle waffle fries!). Not only do they serve up the best brunch, but their drinks are also to die for. I recommend the iced brown sugar latté for any coffee lovers or the matcha smoothie. It’s a perfect spot to visit if you’re looking to try a little bit of everything brunch-related.

3. Markham Station (Scarborough)

If you live on the border of Scarborough and Markham, then you definitely know Markham Station. This 24-hour joint on Markham and Shepherd has been serving up meals 24/7 for years! Although it does look a little old, and maybe even sketchy, I have so many fond memories here with my friends, and it makes my list because of the insane hours. It’s a perfect place to hit up when you and your friends are craving some 2 am pancakes, or really anything because their menu is HUGE. However, if you’re looking for brunch my fav is the Greek omelet with home-style fries, as it hits the spot at 3 am. Definitely visit Markham Station if you’re looking for some cheap brunch and sketchy diner vibes.

4. Ramonas Kitchen (Richmond Hill)

Ramonas Kitchen is infamous in RHill for its mouthwatering brunch. From crab cake eggs benedict to challah French toast, I guarantee every single item on the menu is ~chef’s kiss~ perfect. Located on Bayview Ave, Ramonas Kitchen is so popular during brunch they don’t take reservations, so be sure to go as early as you can for a taste of heaven in your mouth. My recommendation is the S’mores French Toast, which is vanilla-infused fluffy challah bread stuffed with Nutella and toasty marshmallows, but the spicy eggs benny is an honourable mention. Ramonas has an excellent menu for even the pickiest of eaters, from custom omelets to classic breakfasts and savoury sandwiches. Be sure to add Ramonas to your list if you want a taste of heavenly brunch.

5. Mel’s Diner (Waterloo)

Okay, I know Mel’s isn’t in the GTA but she for sure needs an honourable mention. As a WLU student, I can guarantee everyone has been to Mel’s, and lately I’ve been missing it and brunch back on campus. Mel’s is the perfect brunch spot with good diner vibes and even better milkshakes. The all-day breakfast is an all-time favourite with its insane affordability, perfect for a student’s wallet, and they have huge portions! I swear the pancakes are bigger than my face. I’m not going to lie but I believe Mel’s will be the first place I go to when I am back on campus.

Honestly, who doesn’t love brunch? It’s the perfect balance between savoury and sweet and allows me to eat pancakes in public at 2 pm! If you’re a brunch lover like me, be sure to check these places out! I have so many memories at some of these places (some even better than the food), and I can’t wait till I can go back and make some more.

Anikka Salandran

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Anikka Salandran is a 2nd-year student at Wilfrid Laurier University studying English (still deciding her double major and minor!) When she is not busy writing essays and reading books you can find her dipping chocolate strawberries for her business or binge-watching Netflix. Fun fact: She has a twin!
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!