body images 2019 11 22 fullsizeoutput 1b7djpeg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2019 11 22 fullsizeoutput 1b7djpeg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Beauty

4 Reasons Why You Should Buy Products from The Ordinary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

The recent craze around skincare has interested many people in one particular brand: The Ordinary. Here’s four reasons why you should purchase products from The Ordinary, as well as some of my favourite products.

1. Supporting a local company

As a Toronto-based company, buying The Ordinary means supporting local! This brand was founded in 2013 and has since expanded across the world, yet they still manufacture and bottle their products in Canada. This makes these products very accessible through their website, but they can even be found on Sephora Canada!

2. The price

The Ordinary prices are nearly unbeatable. Almost every product is under $10! Their most talked-about product, “Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%”, costs $5.90. This is cheaper than most drugstore prices. They are able to maintain low prices because there is nothing unnecessary. All their products are named after their ingredients and their marketing is nothing extravagant. Sleek and easy-to-use packaging with straightforward instructions makes the perfect product.

3. Something available for all skin types

Whether your skin is oily, dry, aging, dull or anything in between, there’s a product for you. Although it may be difficult at first to get used to the product names, with just a bit of research you can find the perfect product for you. The YouTube video below explains in detail some great options for each skin type and is super helpful!

4. They actually work

The Ordinary’s approach to skincare is quite different from others in the field. With beyond-reasonable prices, as well as ingredient-focused products, they are winning the skincare game. Best part is… they actually work. The Ordinary products have been loved by so many worldwide and approved by skincare specialists around the globe, such as Skincare by Hyram and Liah Yoo.

My favourites

1. Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution

This toner offers a very gentle exfoliation for the skin, while balancing the pH levels to prepare your skin for other products. It’s as simple as sweeping some across the skin with a cotton pad and moving on to the next step in your routine. Not only is it effective, it also comes in a 240mL bottle for less than $9!

2. Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5

This serum is a lightweight formula that can attract up to 1000 times its weight in water to further hydrate your skin. The dropper is easy to use and sanitary, and there are two available sizes being 30mL for $6.80 or 60mL for $12.20!

3. Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA

This non-greasy moisturizer is very gentle, provides great hydration and even includes hyaluronic acid in the formula! There is a 100mL bottle available as well as a 30mL bottle for travelling, which are both under $9.

4. Retinol 0.2% in Squalane

Last, but certainly not least, we have my favourite: retinol. Retinol is the number one anti-aging ingredient, reducing the appearance of fine lines and photo damage. Formulated with squalene, which balances the skin on a cellular level as well as provides anti-inflammatory properties, this lightweight formula is perfect for anyone. I simply add two drops into my moisturizer at night (do not use in the AM as retinol causes the skin to be sun-sensitive) and my skin care routine is wrapped up!

To sum it up, there is no good reason to not dive into skincare and save money while doing so. Up your skin game with some of The Ordinary’s products and watch results follow!

XO

Olivia Egan

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Third year Psychology student at WLU
Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her