24 Instagram Accounts You Should Be Following

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Let’s face it, we’re always attached to our phones in today’s technological age and for some, social media is their life (literally: some people make a hell of a living out of it). Within the last couple years, Instagram has seen a great rise in popularity, and is the place for people to find inspiration in areas of fashion, beauty, and food & drink; knowledge through travelling, and entertainment in the form of comics, memes, and adorable animals. Here are 24 (+ more) Instagram accounts you should be following:

FASHION

1. Aimee Song – @songofstyle

Follower count: 4.7m

Aimee Song, the creator of the website, Song of Style, is one of the top fashion bloggers/Instagrammers out there right now. Much like her choice of clothing, her feed is filled with warm and neutral tones, with her outfits being a mixture of classy chic and casual.

2. Julie Sariñana@sincerelyjules

Follower count: 4.7m

I first heard of Julie Sariãna’s clothing line Sincerely Jules right here at a local store in Waterloo. Her style is quite simplistic and down-to-earth, with a slight touch of boho-chic – which is shown in her feed amongst many shots at beaches and picturesque cities. Visit her blog here.

3. Danielle Bernstein@weworewhat

Follower count: 1.7m

Danielle Bernstein – the founder of We Wore What – boasts a collection of trendy, fashion-forward pieces on her Instagram feed, and is often spotted with some leathery or soft-textured accents pieces. Her style speaks to my soul completely.

4. Blair Eadie@blaireadiebee

Follower count: 1m

Blair Eadie of Atlantic-Pacific takes big fall and winter coats to a whole new level. Honestly, I never really considered making my outerwear the focal piece of my outfit, but her blog has been making me reconsider. Blair has a distinct style, and her attire of choice always consists of a unique combination of colours, layers, and textures.  

MORE FASHION:

BEAUTY

1. Huda Kattan@hudabeauty  

Follower count: 22.7m

If you’re a makeup fan, chances are you’ve probably heard of Huda or have seen some of her gorgeous eye shadow palettes in Sephora. From bomb makeup looks to relatable memes, it’s no wonder this beauty guru has racked up over 20 million followers!

2. Pony@ponysmakeup

Follower count: 4.4m

Hailing from South Korea, makeup artist Pony’s feed is filled with a collection of lively beauty and everyday photos of pastel hues (often to match her constantly changing colourful locks). Everything about her – her makeup, style, photography, hair – is seriously goals! Check out her YouTube channel here.  

3. Manny Gutierrez@mannymua733   

Follower count: 4.1m

Who said that makeup is only for women? Manny shows the world that “boys deserve just as much cosmetic recognition” – and he definitely slays at the game (can I please have him do my makeup for me though, seriously). Visit his YouTube channel  for makeup tutorials, product reviews, and more!

4. Michelle Phan – @michellephan  

Follower count: 2.1m

The one who kick started my (slight) obsession with makeup was none other than Michelle Phan. World-renowned makeup guru, entrepreneur (fun fact: she co-founded Ipsy), and artist… she is seriously talented in everything that she does. Check out her beautifully drawn webtoon, Helios Femina here.  

MORE BEAUTY:

FOOD & DRINK

1. Caroline Khoo@nectarandstone

Follower count: 405k

A gorgeous feed with food that is much too beautiful for words, and for eating. Edible jelly diamonds, fluffy cotton candy, and a variety of small candies are only some of the ingredients that she uses to decorate her soft pink desserts and drinks. I get lost in her photographs and enter dessert heaven every time I visit her feed.

2. feedfeed@thefeedfeed

Follower count: 1.3m

Curated by Julie Resnick, feedfeed features curated food photography (foodography?) contributed by the Instagram community. You can count on her to provide you with recipes, tutorials, and endless inspiration for a healthy and clean diet. Check out the website here.

3. Girl Eat World@girleatworld  

Follower count: 397k

Part travel log, part food journal. Melissa from Girl Eat World documents her worldwide adventures with photographs of local snacks significant to the place she is visiting. She also tells followers what the snack is called, what it is made of, where she bought it, where she shot the photo, and more. Quite interesting and informative, if you ask me. 

4. Jeanine Donofrio@loveandlemons

Follower count: 229k

Love & Lemons is a great account to follow if you are looking for some healthy recipes. Her meals are made with seasonal, whole foods, most of which are vegetarian (there are some vegan options, too). Fun fact: she often finishes off her food with a squeeze of lemon.

TRAVEL

1. Leonie Hanne@ohhcouture  

Follower count: 1.4m

Travel blogger Leonie of Ohh Couture (pronounced “haut” couture) leaves followers burning with a desire to travel the world. Her Instagram feed is curated with a series of warm tones, depicting her adventures in small towns, big cities, the desert, the beach… you name it!

2. Chris Burkard@chrisburkard

Follower count: 2.8m

“Have Camera, Will Travel.” Travel photographer Chris Burkard perfectly captures the astounding beauty of nature for followers to marvel at the sights the world has to offer. Glaciers, snowy mountains, the Northern Lights, and stars in the night sky are only just the beginning.

3. Murad Osmann@muradosmann

Follower count: 4.6m

The originator of the #followmeto project, Murad enjoys sharing with followers his iconic photographs of him and his partner, Nataly, exploring the world hand-in-hand. What makes these photos so particularly special is that Nataly’s outfits reflect the shots’ cultures and locations. It really is something!

4. Lauren Bullen@gypsea_lust

Follower count: 1.9m

Everybody has their own travel style, and Lauren really likes her hot and tropical destinations. All the blue in her feed makes me want to move out to the water… maybe sometime in the future (a girl can dream, right?). Beaches and oceans aside, she also spends her time with the wildlife (all those elephants though). Talk about wanderlust! 

MORE TRAVEL:

HUMOUR

1. Sarah Anderson@sarahandersoncomics

Follower count: 2m

The creator behind the big-eyed, black-haired character from the comics that you’ve probably seen floating around tumblr or Facebook. Sarah Anderson’s work is guaranteed to speak to you, on a slightly satirical level.

2. Tom Lenk@tommylenk

Follower count: 380k

Actor and comedian Tom Lenk is known for his hilarious, yet surprisingly accurate, re-creations of photos, whether they be of celebrities, models, TV/film scenes, or historical art. How much time and effort (+ $$$) he spends doing this, I don’t know, but the results are priceless.

3. @quarterlifepoetry

Follower count: 130k

Adulting is hard, but you are not alone. Quarter Life Poetry is “a collection of illustrated quatrains about your quarter life crisis”, created by Samantha Jayne. Two words: SO. RELATABLE.

4. @textsfromyourexistentialist

Follower count: 412k

“When art meets texts from your existential dread.” That is all that needs to be said.

MORE HUMOUR:

ANIMALS

1. Grumpy Cat – @realgrumpycat   

Follower count: 2.4m

To be honest, I didn’t realize that the Internet’s favourite furry celebrity had her own Instagram account, and it is GREAT! I mean, who can ever get enough of those big blue eyes, and perpetually grumpy face that is also cute at the same time?

2. Marnie the Dog@marniethedog

Follower count: 2.1m

Marnie is a Shih Tzu rescue dog, and the Internet has fallen in love with her head tilt and long, hanging tongue. And of course, her undeniable cuteness. Her story is one that is filled with both sadness and goodness: read about it here. This Instagram feed is filled with photos of Marnie exploring the world, and just simply living and enjoying life to the fullest, disabilities aside.

3. Doug the Pug@itsdougthepug

Follower count: 3m

The King of Pop Culture. Or should I say, “pup” culture? This feed shows Doug enjoying typical everyday activities – such as eating a slice of pizza, or chilling with some Starbucks – and his facial expressions are priceless! It’s no wonder he is one of the Internet world’s most well-known animal celebrities.

4. Oatmeal the Hedgehog@adventuresofcalico

Follower count: 77.1k

This cute little hedgehog loves its party hats, boxes and mugs, blankets, the outdoors, and enjoys posing for photos as well. The simplicity and cleanliness of the feed has followers wanting a tiny companion of their own.

MORE ANIMALS:

Happy Instagramming!

4th year Music Therapy/Psychology student at Wilfrid Laurier University. While not musicking, can be found writing, gymming, watching Netflix, adventuring, hanging out with friends, and living in the "now". Personal blog: www.ebbonyandlune.com
Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.