danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

21 Going On 12: Life of a Baby-Faced Girl Working in Retail

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

I’ve always looked younger than my age, and I never really noticed or cared about it, until I started working in retail. Almost every shift, at least one customer makes a comment about my age (as if I didn’t know I look like a 12-year-old). I used to get genuinely offended by people’s comments, until I realized I’m not the only victim of ageism in retail, and eventually I learned to laugh them off. I’ve compiled a few struggles that I face daily, as a baby-faced 21-year-old working in retail, that hopefully other people can relate to. 

1. “Are you old enough to work here?”

I never understood why people asked this question. I started to make a joke of it, and tell them I only just graduated Grade 8.

2. People refusing assistance from you because you look young.

I asked a lady if she needed assistance once, and her response was, “You look younger than my daughter; I don’t want help from you.”

3. “Are your parents the owners?”

Working at a family business, people think you’re only working there because your parents own the store, even if you aren’t actually related to anyone who owns the place.

4. Always having someone who thinks you’re new to the store, or in training. ­

No, I’m not in training. I’ve worked here for 3 years.

5. People asking your older coworkers for help, instead of you.

Even if you’ve worked there longer, customers always seem to ask older coworkers for assistance. It’s funny when the co-worker ends up having to ask you for help

6. Customers thinking you’re in high school.

No, I’m not in high school; I’m just trying to pay my way through university. 

7.  When a customer asks a ridiculous question that even your coworkers wouldn’t be able to answer.

Their response: “I knew you wouldn’t know; you’re too young.” 

8. Or when a customer doesn’t trust the advice you’ve given them…

9. …So they ask to speak to a manager, who tells them exactly what you just said.

I might be young, but I’m not dumb.

10. Customers trying to set you up with their 14-year-old kid.  

Sir, I’m sure your son is quite the charmer, but I am going to have to politely decline. Your child can’t legally drink or drive a car, and can therefore not date me.

If you’ve experienced any of these while at work, just remember to laugh it off. You’ll be the one laughing someday when you’re 40 and still look 25!

I'm a lover of all things pop culture. By pop culture, I mean McDonald's and rap music. Also dogs. I love dogs.
Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem