20 Women Tell Us What Makes Them Feel Empowered

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

I believe that when women are empowered, they hold the power to change the world. As Amartya Sen once said, “empowering women is key to building a future we want.” So, in celebration of International Women’s Day which was on March 8th, I have compiled 20 different women’s answers, from ages 18-75, to the question: “as a woman, when do you feel the most empowered?”

“When I accomplish the goals that I set for myself.” – Lindsay, 22

“When I’m able to make someone laugh while I’m in a low place.” – Avery, 21

“When my presence in a room does not revolve around the fact I am a woman, but rather, around what I can bring to the table as a human.” – Vanessa, 20

“When I have the means to provide for myself financially. Also, when I choose to do activities independently.” – Samantha, 22

“When I take care of myself physically and mentally.” – Libby, 21

“When I have the mindset of knowing I am capable of all things. Knowing there is a plan out there for me and I have the power to take on whatever mission is set in my way. I feel most empowered when I am confident in my goals and the aspirations I set for myself.” – Beth, 22

“When I am with other confident women.” – Vanessa, 22

“When I am confident in my opinions and stand up for myself. This is especially the case when I participate in model United Nations conferences and have to hold the attention of the room.” – Peyton, 18

“When I am working at my placement helping the kids at the school learn new things.” – Emily, 21

“When I am in a group setting and able to take charge and be a leader.” – Lise, 75

“When I envision a goal that I want to accomplish and I am able to reach it. There is nothing better than turning something that once started as a fantasy into a reality.” – Grace, 19

“When I have just finished working out.” – Anna, 21

“When I’m at work assisting disabled people with their physical activity.” – Eliza, 22

“When I motivate someone to do something they believed they couldn’t do.”- Jacquie, 49

“When I am in a position to empower other women and able to hold my place in a room where I am overpowered by men. It encourages me to keep pushing forward and accomplish great things.” – Lauren, 19

“When I have the time and the ability to help others in need.” – Charlotte, 54

“When I’m able to be myself, speak up for what I believe in, and make a difference in peoples’ lives.” – Alycia, 21

“When I feel like my appearance is not viewed as my sole attribute and I am treated like an actual person as opposed to a potential object of desire.” – Emma, 21

“When I am in a classroom and know what I am talking about and can keep up. I feel especially empowered when debating in class.” – Kelsey, 20

“When I state a strong opinion, and then stick up for what I believe in.” – Jamie, 21

The responses I got to the question are all important and valid. The variety of answers shows just how unique the process of empowerment is for different people. My personal answer is that I feel most empowered as a woman when I am surrounded by the other amazing, strong women in my life – #GIRLPOWER!!! As women, we succeed the most when we support and inspire one another. I hope that this past International Women’s Day you were able to feel empowered by acknowledging (and doing) whatever it may be that most makes you feel that way.

Ally Chesham

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Ally Chesham is a 4th year student at Wilfrid Laurier University. She is majoring in Political Science, minoring in Sociology, and working towards a Legal Studies option as well.
Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her