This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

This list is for the next time your girlfriends are over and you’re trolling the internet for a good movie to watch. Each and every one of these flicks ranges from feel-good female-oriented stories to truly empowering films that will leave you feeling inspired. Pull up this list during your next girls night in and I promise it won’t let you down.

1. Legally Blonde 

Defying all of the odds and every single doubt against her, Elle Woods proves to Harvard law that this ‘dumb blonde’ isn’t as dumb as she looks. A classic for many of us millennials who don’t like to be underestimated.  

2. Erin Brockovich

One of my all-time favourite female empowerment films. Oscar-Award winning Best Actress, Julia Roberts helps tell a true story of a single mom who stood up for what she thought was right, making a huge difference despite what everyone thought she was capable of.

3. Thelma and Louise 

One of the most classic female-oriented movies of all time and a must watch for most women. A 90’s bad ass chick flick that tells the story of 2 unstoppable friends who have the road trip of their lives. Name a more iconic duo…I’ll wait. 

4. The Help

A group of strong women coming together to make a difference so much greater than just their community. This inspiring story is about overcoming fear and adversity, teaching us to tell our stories and share our truth when the truth is needed. 

5. Devil Wears Prada 

Starring the ever so talented and beautiful (and my personal favourite actress) Meryl Streep, this hilarious movie is on every girl’s must-watch-list, that’s a guarantee! This tells the story of a powerful career driven woman that will do absolutely anything to be the best.

6. Coco Before Chanel 

An inspiring true story of everyone’s favourite fashion designer. A true rag to riches story of pure talent and passion. This story empowers women to do what they want despite what society thinks is ‘normal’. Believe in your vision and be a little bit more like Coco!

7. Practical Magic 

A feel-good female-oriented movie about magic and the power of a bond between sisters. Two powerful women, raised by women, this fun and supernatural film has been a must watch on my list since the 90’s!  

8. The Colour Purple

An important story meant to be told, starring the one and only Whoopi Goldberg. Covering themes like racism, sexism, abuse and so much more, although it’s a hard one to watch- it’s a must. 

9. A League of Their Own

A film about an all-female professional baseball team, featuring a group of hilarious women who work together to be the best. This light-hearted, funny classic includes Tom Hanks, Geena Davis and yes… Madonna, what more could you want?

10. The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants

A feel-good series that teaches every young woman the value and importance of innocence, love and friendship. This group of best friends will have you appreciating your girlfriends now more than ever. 

11. Mulan 

Last but not least, I had to add a nostalgic Disney flick onto this list. Our favourite hard-core princess ‘brings honour to us all’ as she shows her family, her community and a group of hundreds of men that she can protect her country just as well as any man can (and maybe even better). 

I hope you enjoyed this handcrafted list of fantastic films created by yours truly, I promise it has something for everyone. Now that you’ve carefully chosen which film is up first, all that’s left to do is grab a glass of wine, pop your popcorn, sit back, relax and enjoy the show!

Sara Domaratzki

Wilfrid Laurier

A lively and mildly entertaining 4th year Communications Studies student at Wilfrid Laurier University.  Enjoys dancing obnoxiously, quoting movies to anyone who will listen and eating various high calorie snacks. 
Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.