10 Things to Thank Your Parents For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Now that you’re beginning to start your own life, it’s easy to get caught up in the excitement of becoming your own person and often forget the people who raised you. Here are 10 things out of an endless list we should all take the time to thank our parents for.

1. Thank you for being my #1 fan.

Your parents have always been there to cheer you on, from your first homerun when you were 10 to your high school graduation and your first A in university. No matter how big or small the accomplishment, your parents are always there to support you.

2. Thank you for teaching me basic life skills.

Whether you want to admit it or not, your parents taught you how to use a spoon and changed your dirty diapers. This is something we all ought to be thankful for!

3. Thank you for the sacrifices you have made for me.

No matter the financial status of your parents, I can promise you they worked their butts off to make sure you could have the life that you have. They made a home for you, with food on the table and a bed to sleep in. It couldn’t have been easy, but they did it with you in mind.

4. Thank you for putting up with my attitude.

Be sure to thank your parents for not giving you up for adoption during your teen years. As hard as all of those changes were for us, they had to stick with us while those insane teenage hormones were acting up. Your rebellion phase, your attitude, the tears of your first heartbreak, you name it – they dealt with it. Kudos to the parents who had more than one child!

5. Thank you for taking care of me when I’m sick.

We’ve all done it. We may be “adults” now, but we have definitely all still called our mom complaining about a head cold and asking for advice on how to cure it.

7. Thank you about worrying about me.

Those “What did you have for dinner?” or “Wear a jacket today – it’s cold out” texts can seem annoying, but know that it comes from a place of love.

8. Thank you for being honest.

Your parents are your most honest critics, and some things are hard to hear, but it’s best coming from the people who will have your back no matter what.

9. Thank you for home cooked meals.

Nothing is better than your favourite home-cooked meal, especially after 4 days of leftover pizza and Kraft dinner. 

10. Thank you for being the reason I exist.

Literally.

Thank you for the unconditional love and support.

You can find Rachel hanging out with her hedgehog and binge watching Netflix. She's a third year student at Laurier completing a double major in Sociology and Philosophy. This is Rachel's first time writing for Her Campus, she is excited and eager to experience all that HC has to offer!
Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem