This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Some people’s favourite shows are not very important to them. They enjoy the storyline, some of the characters, and talk to their friends about the last episode they watched; this is not me. I have been watching Friends since I was 8 years old. I don’t remember why I decided to start watching, but it’s one of my greatest life decisions.  My parents always liked the show and we even named our dog after one of the characters, Phoebe, but I never appreciated the name until I got a bit older. If you’re a Friends fiend like me, you have reached a point in your obsession that it has actually affected your day-to-day life and a lot of the things below will resonate with you on an extreme level. 

1. You can recite every word from every episode off by heart 

I’ve reached a point in my obsession that I can recite almost any episode pretty much perfectly. I can predict what’s coming next and love to freak people out when I can act out an entire scene before it even happened. If you’re a real Friends fan, you’ve gotten to a point where nothing surprises you about an episode because you know the entire script.  

2. “Yes this is what I want to watch and no, I haven’t watched anything else since last month”

When people ask you to change the TV to anything other than Friends, you politely decline. You may watch a few new shows on Netflix here or there, but 95% of the time, you have Friends on. It’s on while you’re cleaning, in bed, doing homework, really at any point in life. 

3. Some “regular” words have a completely different meaning to you 

You can’t hear the words apothecary, pivot, phalange, or Nestle Tollhouse without secretly laughing to yourself. 

4. When people say, “I love Friends too!”, you know it’s probably not on your level

Whenever someone says this to you, you slowly generate a list of questions you’re dying to test them with. Mind you, there are the few gems but it is VERY rare! (for me anyway) 

5. When you actually do meet someone that meets your obsession level, your heart literally skips a beat

“Want to be best friends?” is the first question you’ll probably ask them. 

6. Whether it’s the 1st time or the 100th, it never fails to make you smile 

Whether you’re stressed, sad, or anxious, Friends will always make you feel better. It’s the security blanket you never had. 

7. The amount of Friends memorabilia you have is excessive

I think I realized that I’d gone a bit overboard when I put all my Friends items together in one pile. My Friends PlayStation game, Scene It game, and my collector DVD set took up most of the space but seriously, it’s an addiction and I know I’m not the only one…hopefully. 

8. When you hear someone has never watched it, you question if they’re real and what is wrong with them 

No offense to any of you that haven’t seen it but seriously, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?? If you like funny, perfectly written, entertaining shows, you’re missing out on the best one. 

9. You get ridiculously defensive if anyone says anything bad about it

When you meet someone who utters the terrible words, “Friends sucks”, you either ignore it because you know they have no idea what they’re talking about, walk away, or start the biggest debate you’ve ever had in your life. 

10.  And finally, you feel like you’re actually a part of the group 

If you ever met the actors in real life, you’d forget they are not Rachel, Monica, Phoebe, Ross, Chandler and Joey and make a fool out of yourself. But later, you will explain to everyone you know that that it was the happiest moment of your life. 

Brb, gonna go binge! 

Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.