10 Taylor Swift Lyrics That Taught Me Life Lessons 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Taylor Swift is an artist known for her genius lyricism, writing about relationships, friendships, love and life. She has inspired many and has a plethora of songs she’s written throughout her career that have become massive hits, earning her awards and a large and dedicated fan base. In light of her latest stadium tour, I got to thinking about all the Taylor Swift lyrics I not only relate to but also feel so strongly about that I have learned lessons through her words. Here’s a list of 10 lyrics that taught me valuable life lessons. 

“Don’t put me in the basement when I want the penthouse of your heart” — Bejeweled by Taylor Swift 

This song off her latest album Midnights is all about being in a relationship that dims your sparkle and brings you down. This line here refers to being with someone you put above all, who you love completely but who doesn’t do the same back. I’ve been in relationships where this situation is relevant, where I felt I put all my heart into the relationship but was put in the metaphorical basement of my partner’s heart, where I felt like I had to fight for their attention, being put below their friends or roommates This taught me to raise my standards, to find someone who would make me their number one and never make me feel as if I was fighting for room in their life. 

Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts. Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first” — Would’ve, Could’ve Should’ve by Taylor Swift 

These lyrics from one of her bonus edition songs from her latest album are powerful and hit me hard the moment I heard the song. The entire song is relatable to anyone who went through situations in their teenage years they may regret now or look back and realize the issues once they’ve already happened. These lyrics from the song specifically sums up the whole song and taught me that even if something has happened in your past, you can take control of your life now. Your life belongs to you. 

“You see all the wisest women had to do it this way, ‘Cause we were born to be a pawn in every lover’s game” — Mastermind by Taylor Swift 

The song Mastermind is a story about a woman who strategically got the man she wanted, set a plan and executed it perfectly. I love these lyrics here because it’s about taking control and rather than being a pawn or the one in control of a situation or relationship, you have all the control. She’s saying that wise women take control in order to not become the one being used, which taught me that I don’t have to be the pawn and just play along, I can become the one who makes my own plan.  

“I’ve been spending the last eight months, thinking all love ever does is break and burn and end. But on a Wednesday in a cafe I watched it begin again” — Begin Again by Taylor Swift 

This song is a hopeful song off her Red album, about a love skeptic who finally falls in love again after believing love is heartbreaking and leads to nothing good. These lyrics have taught me that even after a relationship ends, you can’t believe all love is bad and still be able to let love into your life and just go for it. There’s no way of knowing if the situation will work out but love can be good and you’ll never know unless you try again.  

“The idea you had of me, Who was she? A never-needy, ever lovely jewel Whose shine reflects on you” — All Too Well (10 min version) by Taylor Swift 

The re-recorded album Red included a 10-minute version of her song All Too Well which included many powerful lyrics about one of her previous age-gap relationships which manipulated her younger self. These lyrics here are spoken strongly and describe a relationship where one person is controlling the other and using their partner as an accessory rather than an equal. This lyric taught me that some people and some relationships benefit one person over the other and those are to be avoided because nobody should ever be able to put you down.  

“I’m still a believer but I don’t know why. I’ve never been a natural All I do is try, try, try” — Mirrorball by Taylor Swift 

Mirrorball is one of Taylor’s most popular songs from her Folklore album, with many fans relating to the song and describing themselves as mirrorball girls. This is because the song is about someone who still believes in good and love and continues to get up and try again despite all the obstacles they face. Unsure of why they keep trying, as it doesn’t come easy to them, this song is a lesson in trying despite things being hard and things being thrown at you that prevent you from having an easy life.  

“You taught me a secret language I can’t speak with anyone else. And you know damn well for you I would ruin myself… a million little times.” — illicit affairs by Taylor Swift  

These lyrics from illicit affairs are about a bad relationship where someone is so dedicated to their partner despite the bad things that may occur in the relationship. They are so connected to each other that they have a metaphorical language they only understand each other through and this connection is why, even when things may be bad, she won’t leave. This taught me that sometimes connections are so strong, even things you know are wrong make you selfless toward a person who may not even deserve it.  

“I forgot that you existed. And I thought it would kill me, but it didn’t” — I Forgot That You Existed by Taylor Swift 

Taylor Swift’s Lover album surrounds love in an upbeat fashion and this song is included in that. When relationships end it’s hard to see the other person and easy to get constant reminders of them everywhere you go. This creates an unwanted sadness, as sometimes you don’t want to ever forget this person. These lyrics explain that forgetting about them may actually not hurt as much as you think and sometimes it’s even for the better. This taught me that sometimes people have to be left behind,  life goes on and better things are on the way.  

“Don’t you ever grow up, it could stay this simple. And no one’s ever burned you, Nothing’s ever left you scarred” — Never Grow Up by Taylor Swift 

This song off the Speak Now album is a song written by Taylor herself, giving advice to someone younger not to grow up as it can get scary once you’re older. These lyrics specifically refer to the fact that when you’re younger you haven’t gone through all the tough experiences life is going to bring. The lesson taught here is to enjoy life as it is since you’re never going to be younger than you are at the moment. Growing up is not easy and enjoying the moment you’re in is incredibly important.  

“People like you always want back the love they pushed aside, but people like me are gone forever when you say goodbye” — All You Had To Do Was Stay by Taylor Swift  

This song off the 1989 album is about second chances and a relationship where someone continues to leave and expect more chances. As someone who has been broken up with by someone who then wanted a second and then third chance, I relate to this song as I no longer give more chances. In my experience, people come back over and over and regret their decisions but these lyrics teach me my worth and that people like me who would give their all in a relationship don’t fall for the words of someone who has broken trust previously.  

Kaileigh Klein

Wilfrid Laurier '25

My name is Kaileigh & I am a communication studies student at Wilfrid Laurier University in Waterloo, Ontario. I am the Vice President of Writing for our Her Campus chapter & love everything there is about writing. My career goals range from journalism to marketing, with interests in all creative fields as I love reading, writing and content creating. I love reality TV & am a huge gym rat, as the gym is my favourite place to be. I am also quite obsessed with Taylor Swift & true crime podcasts.