10 Short Books You Can Read to Catch up on Your Reading Goal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you’ve already fallen behind on your reading goal. School, work and life, in general, have prevented me from staying on track. Whether your goal is five books or one hundred books, this list will surely help you catch up on your goal. These books are short and action-packed and almost all of them can be read in one sitting.

1. The Lesser Blessed by Richard Van Camp (128 pages)

After losing his memory in an accident, Larry, a Dogrib teenager living in the Northwest Territories, learns how to deal with his past. P.S. If you enjoy the book, you’re in luck! The Lesser Blessed was brought to the screen in 2012. Check TWs.

2. A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness (237 pages)

Ever since Connor’s mom fell ill, he’s had the same dream every single night, but one night it’s different. Something is at his window and it will not leave until it gets what it came for – the truth. A Monster Calls deals with loss, anger and grief in a way that I’ve never read before. Once you’ve finished bawling your eyes out, you can do it all over again when watching the movie. Check TWs.

3. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (216 pages)

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy is an action-packed sci-fi novel from the ‘70s. The first book of its series opens with Arthur Dent being yanked off of Earth by his friend Ford Prefect, seconds before Earth is destroyed. The two friends adventure through space collecting research for the revised version of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy and run into some unexpected findings.

4. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde (272 pages)

If you’re more into classics, The Picture of Dorian Gray is sure to grab your attention. Dorian Gray is a man so entrenched in his fear of aging that he sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. The novel follows the consequences of this and the corruption of human influence.

5. The Midnight Library by Matt Haig (304 pages)

The library in the novel represents where you go between life and death. Each book shows a different outcome to every choice you’ve ever made. The Midnight Library is about all the decisions and the outcomes of these decisions that go into life. Check TWs.

6. The Perks of Being a Wall Flower by Stephen Chbosky (213 pages)

The Perks of Being a Wall Flower is written as a series of intimate letters to an unknown individual. The novel follows Charlie’s attempt to survive high school by trying to live his life while also running from it. Check TWs.

7. Elevation by Stephen King (146 pages)

One of Stephen King’s shorter works, Elevation is set in the small town of Castle Rock. When I say small town, I mean small. Gossip gets around quickly, which is why Scott Carey doesn’t want to tell anyone about his weird medical condition. He’s losing weight without getting thinner and the scales don’t budge. Confused? Read the novel to find out why.

8. Lore Olympus (Volume 1) by Rachel Smythe (384 pages)

Graphic novels aren’t just for kids and they’re a great way to boost the number of books you’ve read. Lore Olympus is a modern retelling of the Greco-Roman myth, the Taking of Persephone. The best thing about this series is that it can be found on Webtoons for free! Check TWs.

9. Heartstopper (Volume 1) by Alice Oseman (288 pages)

Another great graphic-novel-series-turned-TV-adaptation is Heartstopper (it can also be read for free on Webtoons)! Heartstopper follows English teenager Charlie Spring as he navigates high school after being outed as gay to the whole school. Breaking down harmful stereotypes, Heartstopper is a heartwarming, coming-of-age graphic novel series that is sure to make you smile.

10. Childhood favourites

Going back to favourite books, including childhood favourites, is a great way to re-spark your enjoyment of reading. Whether it’s Percy Jackson, Harry Potter or the Nancy Drew books, I’m sure you’ll find something quick and fun to read.

Whether you’re into sci-fi or heart-wrenching stories, the books on this list are sure to reel you in, catch you up on your reading goal and maybe even help you find a new favourite.

Véronique Perrault

Wilfrid Laurier '25

Hi! I'm Véronique and I'm a writer for Her Campus Laurier. I like to write about a lot of different things so, stay tuned! When I'm not swamped with studying, I love curling up with a good book, playing with my dog and doing puzzles.