yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

10 Houses You Trick-or-Treated at as a Kid

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

I’m sure we’ve all had our fair share of experiences trick-or-treating as a kid — or maybe still as an adult, I’m not judging. Trick-or-treating was probably one of my favourite traditions as a kid. Free candy? What’s not to love? I loved dressing up and running door to door with all of my friends to get the best candy. There were always the popular houses on the street — and the weird ones you would avoid. The best part was coming home at the end of the night, organizing all my candy and convincing my little sister to trade the bad ones with me. Mwhahaha. 

If you ever went trick or treating, you definitely have come across most of these types of houses (if not all of them). So much nostalgia. Who wants to skip the bar this year and go trick or treating instead?  

Trick or treat, smell my feet
give me something good to eat
if you don’t, I don’t care
I’ll pull down your underwear!

1. The House with the Bowl 

The house that leaves a big bowl of candy on the porch with a little sign that says “help yourself but be considerate” — most kids would just take a few, but there was always that one punk-ass kid that would dump the whole bowl in their bag. Rude. 
2. The House with the Lights Off 

These people were basically the Grinch of Halloween — we see you.

3. The Generous House

This house that would give out the big chocolate bars/candy and not just the fun sized ones!

4. The House That Goes All Out

This is the house on the street that plays the creepy noise CD, has the biggest decorations and whose parents dress up in crazy costumes. One of the most popular houses on the street.

5. The Raisin People

Self-explanatory — but seriously the worst kind of people. No one wants raisins. ​
6. The Dentists 

The dentists in the neighbourhood that give out toothbrushes, floss sticks and sugar-free gum instead of candy. Thanks.​
7. The People That Forgot it was Halloween

These are the people that forgot to buy candy and give you anything they had in their pantry: yogurt, apples, a loaf of bread, a granola bar, a can of pop — really anything they can find.

8. The Teacher’s House

Accidently trick or treating at your teacher’s house is so awkward. Abort mission. 

9. The Stingy Ones

The people that give you like one lollipop. C’mon man.

10. The Ones That Just Want To Talk

These are the people that ask all the questions and play the guessing game of “oh let me guess what you are!” I appreciate the effort but please shut up and just give me the candy. 

Natasha Jiwa

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Natasha is a Business Major at Wilfrid Laurier University
Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.