medical supplies
medical supplies
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media
Career

My Top 5 Resources for Premed Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wichita chapter.

As a first-generation college & premed student myself, it is easy to feel lost and overwhelmed on this long path to becoming a doctor. Between trying to get good grades and building up the other parts of your medical school application, it can feel almost impossible. However, having good resources can make your premed journey a lot more enjoyable. Here are my favorite premed resources that I have used all throughout undergrad!

1. The Organic Chemistry Tutor

• The organic chemistry tutor on Youtube has been a lifesaver for organic chemistry 1 and 2. If you need a little extra help with organic chemistry, definitely check out his videos!

2. Chad’s Prep

• Chad’s organic chemistry videos on Youtube are also another amazing resource for organic chemistry 1 and 2. He explains topics extremely well and even has a prep course with practice problems, quizzes, and chapter reviews for $10 a month. He also has other videos for general chemistry and physics. 

3. The Premed Podcast

• The Premed Podcast is a podcast by Dr. Ryan Gray, a doctor who works to help get premeds all over the country get into medical school. Dr. Gray has multiple podcasts for the MCAT, medical school applications, and more. 

4. “The Premed Playbook” series

• Dr. Gray also has written 3 books to help students in the medical school application process. The Premed Playbook series consists of 3 books that tackle different aspects of the application. The MCAT, The Medical School Interview, and The Personal Statement book are amazing resources to use if you are applying to medical school!

5. Webshadowers

• Having a hard time getting shadowing hours in because of Covid? Webshadowers is an online shadowing tool that allows premeds to get documented shadowing hours for their application. They host 1-hour long shadowing sessions with physicians of all specialties, and at the end put out a google form to document your attendance. Each semester, they offer certificates for those who have completed a certain number of shadowing hours. It is an amazing resource for those who need to get shadowing hours in, but can’t get in-person opportunities.
Isabel Burns

Wichita '22

Isabel is a junior at WSU majoring in Biological Sciences and minoring in Chemistry. After graduation she plans to go to medical school to become a pediatric neurologist. She is currently conducting undergraduate research in speech pathology. Some of her passions include martial arts/ taekwondo, reading, and volunteering!
Mikaela is a senior studying Social Work at Wichita State University where she is also the Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Wichita chapter. When she isn't on campus or at work, you can find her either hanging out with friends and family or trying out the newest place in town. Her passions include traveling, reading and writing, and all things local Wichita. Valuing social justice and women empowerment, she strives to make every effort count towards the best positive impact of others. She's an ENFP-T Myers-Briggs type and a type 2w3 Enneagram. You can find her on Instagram at @mikaelacutaran.