This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wichita chapter.

Ladies, it’s time to raid your local craft store – we’re bringing hobbies back.

Somewhere along the way, college students fell out of love with hobbies. With the demanding financial burdens and time constraints of a modern day college education, it’s no surprise that students everywhere are cutting corners to prioritize work and class. It’s hard to imagine having enough free time to pursue a hobby like baking, painting, or embroidery – but with a little bit of mindfulness and dedication, even the busiest of students can invite a healthy habit into their lives that is both beneficial and fun.

So, what makes a good hobby? First of all – it has to be something that is done solely for enjoyment – and not any sort of financial gain. The moment that a hobby turns into something that you’re trying to sell, it’s no longer fun – it’s just another side hustle. 

The benefit of having a hobby is an opportunity to create something just for the sake of creation – without trying to monetize it or turn it into a business. By doing something that is just for your own enjoyment, you are prioritizing yourself and your self-care

Perhaps the greatest thing about hobbies is that there’s something out there for everyone. If you’re a foodie, try cake decorating, baking, food blogging, or trying to cook your way through an entire cookbook. For those who are a bit more artistic, embroidery is all the rage right now – and it’s dirt cheap. Skip the overdone dorm decorations from Target and create some DIY decor that is unique to you! If none of those sound up your alley, try Bob Ross inspired painting, jewelry making, at home beer brewing, bullet journaling, or even candle making. It really doesn’t matter what you choose, or even if you’re good at it. As long as it’s something you like to do, you’re golden. 

By setting aside a few hours per week for a hobby, you not only get the chance to learn a new skill, but you also give your brain a change to unplug. In an ultra-electronic world, it’s rare that we have the opportunity to work with our hands and make a mess. So, pick up that instrument you’ve always wanted to learn or some crochet hooks – it’s hobby time.

Ella Lee is a senior studying Communications at Wichita State University. She enjoys photography, live music, and empowering women.
Sophie Glasgow is a business student at Wichita State University studying Marketing and Entrepreneurship. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Wichita. After she graduates in May of 2021, she plans on starting her own business.