This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wichita chapter.

Fall: A time where the leaves change colors, the weather gets cooler, and I drink way too many pumpkin spice lattes from Starbucks (just me?) Celebrating fall looks a little different this year, but that doesn’t mean you can’t still have fun! Here are 10 ways to celebrate the fall season for under $30.

1. Halloween movie night with snacks and Halloween cookies

a. What you’ll need: a streaming service subscription (Netflix, Hulu, Disney+) and some snacks

b. A Halloween movie night with some friends is a must during fall. Put on your favorite Halloween movie, grab some snacks, and enjoy a festive night with your friends! (socially distanced of course).

c. Cost: ~$10-$20

2. Decorate mini pumpkins

a. What you’ll need: a mini pumpkin, some paint, and paintbrushes

b. Are you artistic? Decorating a mini pumpkin is a fun way to spice up your dorm or apartment.

c. Cost: ~$10-15

3. Enjoy a picnic in the park

a. What you’ll need: a blanket, food, a book 

b. Do you enjoy the fall weather? If so, this activity is perfect for you! Grab your favorite snacks and a cozy blanket and set up in the park! 

c. Cost: ~free-$10

4. Smores bonfire

a. What you’ll need: marshmallows, chocolate, graham crackers, and friends

b. A bonfire can be a fun activity that fits social distance guidelines, especially if some yummy treats are involved. Making smores with friends while looking at the stars can be a great way to have fun.

c. Cost: ~$10

5. Pumpkin patch

a. Going to a pumpkin patch every year is a favorite fall activity for most. Picking out a pumpkin, taking cute pictures, going through a corn maze, and many more activities are a fun way to celebrate fall. Make sure to bring your mask and remain socially distanced!

b. Cost: ~$10-20

6. Make caramel apples

a. What you’ll need: sticks, apples, caramel cubes

b. Another favorite festive treat is caramel apples! With it being relatively cheap and easy to make, this is definitely one activity you don’t want to pass up this season.

c. Cost: ~$10

7. Grab your favorite coffee and read a book

a. What you’ll need: your favorite coffee and a book

b. Do you like curling up on a rainy day with a good book and a cup of coffee? If so, this is the perfect time to do it. Put on your comfiest pajamas, grab your favorite coffee, and curl up with a good book!

c. Cost: ~free-$7

8. Have a fall photoshoot

a. What you’ll need: an outfit you feel great in, and a camera (phone or camera)

b. Fall is arguably one of the most Instagram-worthy backgrounds when it comes to taking pictures outside. Put on your favorite fall outfit, a friend, and a camera

c. Cost: ~free

9. Make homemade pumpkin bread

a. What you’ll need: Pumpkin bread recipe, flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, butter, eggs, sugar, and pumpkin puree

b. If you’re a queen at baking, this activity is right up your ally. Grab a friend and make some homemade pumpkin bread! 

c. Cost: ~$10-20 (depending on what ingredients you already have)

10. Have a fall spa night (candles, bubble bath, etc.)

a. What you’ll need: Fall candles, a bath bomb, a book, and your favorite snack

b. Self-care is extremely important, especially as a college student. Taking a night off to relax can improve mental health and overall wellness. Grab some fall candles, a bath bomb, and a yummy snack to help you relax. 

c. Cost: ~$10

Isabel Burns

Wichita '22

Isabel is a junior at WSU majoring in Biological Sciences and minoring in Chemistry. After graduation she plans to go to medical school to become a pediatric neurologist. She is currently conducting undergraduate research in speech pathology. Some of her passions include martial arts/ taekwondo, reading, and volunteering!
Mikaela is a senior studying Social Work at Wichita State University where she is also the Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Wichita chapter. When she isn't on campus or at work, you can find her either hanging out with friends and family or trying out the newest place in town. Her passions include traveling, reading and writing, and all things local Wichita. Valuing social justice and women empowerment, she strives to make every effort count towards the best positive impact of others. She's an ENFP-T Myers-Briggs type and a type 2w3 Enneagram. You can find her on Instagram at @mikaelacutaran.