This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wichita chapter.

It’s the start of a new semester and you know what that means – a shocking taste of reality as the cozy days of Winter Break, spent buried beneath blankets and binge-watching Netflix, come to a close. If the harshness of a new semester feels like a little bit too much to bear, check out the list below for a list of five simple ways to thrive this semester.

Wake up earlier.

I know, I know. As if waking up for your dreary 8 a.m. lecture isn’t painful enough, but trust me on this one. Even just setting your alarm fifteen or thirty minutes earlier can kickstart your day to be more peaceful and productive. 

By giving yourself ample time to get ready, you’re setting yourself up for a day full of sunshine and success. So skip the snooze button, girl. We have glass ceilings to shatter.

Create a sustainable routine.

We would all love to be that girl who drinks green smoothies, has a perfect skin care routine, and goes to the gym every day. But let’s be real – for 99% of us, that’s not sustainable. 

Whether it’s financial or time constraints, most of us aren’t able to live up to that unrealistic lifestyle we see on Instagram. 

That’s why it’s important to establish a sustainable routine that is unique to your own schedule, financial status, and personal goals. 

Establishing a sustainable routine in your life can include anything from going to a beginner’s yoga class once a week – or buying skin care products that don’t break the bank. 

This semester, don’t strive for perfection. It’ll cause some major burn out. Strive for sustainability. 

Set up a workspace you love.

This semester is all about you – and this year, we’re working smarter, not harder.

Designate an area in your living space for work – whether it’s a desk or a dining table, create an environment that will not only let you work without distractions, but also inspire you. Spruce it up with decorations that will make you excited to sit down and get some work done. 

Don’t forget to include a stress relief candle, some rainbow pens, and a framed photo of Timothee Chalamet – for inspiration, of course.

Stay hydrated!

Maybe the VSCO girls were actually on to something with the whole Hydroflask thing. As college students, we are constantly on the go. Between class, work, sororities, and student orgs, it’s fair to say we’re never in the same spot for too long. 

Being constantly on the run makes us really vulnerable to dehydration which can have negative side effects on our skin, body, and even our mental health. 

Investing in a reusable water bottle to keep at your side at all times is one of the best ways to ensure we keep ourselves hydrated. Ditch the single use plastic and invest in a reusable water bottle. They’re not just convenient, they’re eco-friendly, too.

Give yourself space to rest.

College is really difficult. It’s okay to take a step back and put yourself first. In the same way that you can’t drive a car on an empty gas tank, you can’t run on empty.

Taking time to rest doesn’t make you lazy, it makes you responsible. As much as we would all love to be Wonder Woman, we need to take care of ourselves first.

If you’re determined to thrive this semester, give yourself the time, space, and rest needed to recharge your batteries.

All in all, college is going to be a challenge, and there will be times when you need to examine your priorities. Take care of yourself this semester, ladies. You can only do your best!

Ella Lee is a senior studying Communications at Wichita State University. She enjoys photography, live music, and empowering women.
Sophie Glasgow is a business student at Wichita State University studying Marketing and Entrepreneurship. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Wichita. After she graduates in May of 2021, she plans on starting her own business.