Perfect Coffee Houses to Study in London

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Westminster chapter.

Doing uni work in your room and in such close proximity to your bed is risky. The amount of distractions and the luring of a good nap make concentrating hard. While studying in your room has its payoffs, such as a lack of necessity of wearing pants, it is often not the most effective option. London offers many study spots beyond your room or your uni’s library. Coffeehouses offer a good mix of background noise, caffeine and people who you can pretend are judging you for sitting on Facebook.

However, lots of coffee shops in London are in-and-out style, where sitting for hours on end would be frowned upon. Others don’t offer free WiFi, and some are uninspiring chains. While industry giants like Starbucks or Costa can offer these same amenities, supporting your local coffee shops is important and fun. Local businesses’ unique personalities increase community; encourage entrepreneurship and product diversity, overall adding to local flavour. Below is a list of various independent coffeehouses around London that are perfect study havens.

Timberyard London

This modern technology friendly coffeehouse offers a relaxed vibe, sweet treats and unlimited free WiFi. A combination of tables and couches produce a chill atmosphere perfect for studying, with even more seating and workspace in the basement. They offer an array of coffee and tea options, lunch quiches, salads, sandwiches and delectable treats to die for. Once you order, feel free to sit down, and they will bring the goods to you as well as a large bottle of still water. The service is friendly, the couches are comfy, and the environment is light, airy and modern — Timberyard is the perfect space to bring your laptop and get stuff done.

Hours: Mon – Fri, 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.

Sat – Sun, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.

Locations: Old Street – 61-67 Old Street, EC1V 9HW London, United Kingdom

Seven Dials – 7 Upper St Martin’s Lane, London WC2H 9DL 

Website: http://www.timberyardlondon.com/

Full Stop Bar

Situated on the ever-intriguing Brick Lane, Full Stop is full of local flavor. This East end joint offers small vintage tables, booths and a couple of cozy chairs to fit your preferences. The atmosphere is very relaxed, and it is not uncommon to see someone at work on a laptop, taking advantage of the free WiFi. Never overflowing, this gem offers a quiet and comfortable study zone. The milk used in drinks is amazing, and the people making and serving it to you are incredibly friendly. It’s overall a solid option, and you can sit toward the front of the shop and watch the hipsters walk by out of Full Stop’s big front window. They also offer some open mic nights, quizzes and other fun local activities to get involved in.

Hours: Mon – Tue: 7:30 a.m. – 9:30 p.m.

Wed – Thu: 7:30 a.m. – 11:00 p.m.

Fri: 7:30 a.m. – 12:30 a.m.

Sat: 9:00 a.m. – 12:30 a.m.

Sun: 9:00 a.m. – 9:30 p.m.

Location: 202 Brick Lane, E1 6SA

Website: https://www.facebook.com/fullstopbar

Bloomsbury Coffee House

Situated in the basement, below a hotel, Bloomsbury Coffee House takes eclectic personality to a new level. Walk down the red stairs and enter into this buzzing study haven. Two rooms and a surprising amount of light in this basement digs infuses you with energy to write and research. Free WiFi, delicious in-house made cakes and sandwiches on vintage plates make this place an enjoyable spot to spend a good portion of your day, even if it is on coursework.

Hours: Mon – Fri: 8 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.

Sat & Sun: 8 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.

Location: 20 Tavistock Place, WC1H 9RE

Website: http://bloomsburycoffeehouse.co.uk/

Emma Fetting

Westminster

Minnesota girl currently living in London. Lover of health and fitness, Nigerian music, and chocolate. A morning person passionate about cultures and the fight against racism. Business minded, striving for a career in sales within a large international company. 
Divija Mohan

Westminster

A UMass girl who's originally from Bombay, India and currently studying abroad for a year in London at the University of Westminster! Loves watching the Daily Show with Jon Stewart, The Colbert Report, Scandal, Sherlock (A member of the Cumbercollective), Modern Family, SATC and PLL. A wannabe screenwriter and future filmmaker, she devotes all her time watching cinema from all over the world and trying out new cuisines, places and styles.