HC Westminster at the Women of the World Festival

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Westminster chapter.

Her Campus Westminster got to take part in a great event the past weekend- the Southbank WOW Festival. The festival was filled with many great speakers, such as Malala Yousafzai, Katie Price, Vivienne Westwood, and Grayson Perry. The play Nirbhaya was a huge favourite with audiences, as it spoke powerfully on violence and abuse against women. The film Miss Representation also shared a powerful message on women in power.

Here are some of our favourite quotes from the event:

“I don’t use Facebook or Twitter or Instagram, it needs time, but it’s my message to every teenager that this is a great way for you to raise the issues that children are facing, of child trafficking, or FGM. Don’t use it just to post pictures and then comment on it and get likes or followers. Teenagers should use these resources in a good way as a source of highlighting the problems that women are facing. “I’m not against social media because you need some time to enjoy things, but if you use it in a good way, it can highlight issues that girls are facing in India and in Pakistan.”– Malala Yousafzai

“You can’t go on pretending everything is equal when you secretly know it isn’t”- Jude Kelly

“We men ask ourselves and each other for the following: the right to be vulnerable, to be uncertain, to be wrong, to be intuitive, the right not to know, to be flexible and not to be ashamed.” Grayson Perry

“When the laws are unjust, the job of liberty becomes much harder.We lived in the privileged world, we aren’t thinking.” – Vivienne Westwood

Divija Mohan

Westminster

A UMass girl who's originally from Bombay, India and currently studying abroad for a year in London at the University of Westminster! Loves watching the Daily Show with Jon Stewart, The Colbert Report, Scandal, Sherlock (A member of the Cumbercollective), Modern Family, SATC and PLL. A wannabe screenwriter and future filmmaker, she devotes all her time watching cinema from all over the world and trying out new cuisines, places and styles.