Bonfire Night: Remember, Remember The Fifth of November

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Westminster chapter.

Remember, remember the fifth of November,The gunpowder, treason and plot,I know of no reasonWhy gunpowder treasonShould ever be forgot.

Guy Fawkes Night, also known as Bonfire night, is an annual celebration on 5th November. It’s primarily celebrated in Great Britain. Bonfire night began on the 5th November 1605 when Guy Fawkes, a member of the Gunpowder Plot attempted to assassinate the protestant King James and tried to replace him with a Catholic head of state. Guy Fawkes was caught guarding explosives beneath the House of Lords, he was then arrested. After his arrest, people were allowed to celebrate King James’ survival with bonfires and that is how Bonfire night came about.

However, in the 21st century people celebrate Bonfire night for a completely different reason. The film V for Vendetta has heavily influenced them. Some people view Guy Fawkes as a hero, they wear masks that present his prominent features to look like him, and to hide their identity in order appear anonymous. 

If you still want to catch the fireworks in London, check out this page here for all event details! 

Image credit (x, x)

Mayran Osman

Westminster