This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Going on dates is often associated with couples and romantic relationships, but it’s important to boost self-confidence, reduce stress and improve overall well-being. Intentionally setting aside time to appreciate your own company. While the idea of going out alone may seem daunting or even uncomfortable to some, it can be an important activity to try. Here are a few reasons why:

1. Self-care: Spending time alone with yourself can be a great form of self-care and help you recharge.
  2. Independence: Going on a solo date demonstrates that you are comfortable with your own company and enjoy spending time alone.
  3. Discovering new interests: When you are not relying on someone else for entertainment, you can explore new things that you might enjoy.
  4. Setting your own pace: When you take yourself on a date, you have the freedom to set your own schedule, choose what you want to do, and control the overall pace of the day.
  5. Building confidence: By spending time alone, you can build your confidence and independence, which can be empowering.
  6. Flexibility: When you go on a solo date, you have complete control over the schedule and activities, allowing you to create an experience that suits your needs and interests

So whether you treat yourself to a special meal, take a relaxing walk, or try something new, taking yourself on a date can be a fun and fulfilling experience. 

I think alone time is valuable and is just a part of growing up. When you are happy and comfortable in your own company, you can feel the same when you are in the company of others. I notice that when I am not really taking care of myself or I am feeling burnt out, I can’t be 100% when I am with other people. Also, just taking the time to truly enjoy the city I am in on my own instead of doing “exploring” days with other people. As much as I really enjoy doing that, I just wanted to do it by myself to take the time to prioritize and appreciate the things I like to do. It’s a great way to celebrate my “little achievements”.

In the past month, I have been very busy and confused when planning my future career paths and maintaining my school, personal life, and work balance.

I think it’s also similar to any other social relationship. My friends already know that I really love them and when it comes to birthdays or any other celebration you will treat them and do something special. I think that the same type of love and attention should be given to yourself. 

There does not have to be anything that special to celebrate. Getting through another day is an accomplishment itself(sometimes it’s hard to do just that), and you deserve to treat yourself. 

Sometimes you need the time to appreciate and put together your thoughts. I am so used to being in social settings, however given the opportunity would I be able to have a good time with just me and not someone else to help keep the conversation going? 

From exploring new places to trying new things, the possibilities for a solo date are endless. This year I decided to take myself on a solo date, so stay tuned for some suggestions. 

MY SOLO DATE:

• The subway downtown: It wasn’t too crowded because it was a random weekday.
  • Got a coffee: Went to a cute cafe and did some readings while the typical cafe music played. 
  • Art museum: The museum was absolutely beautiful! I had to take a break to recollect my thoughts. There was art everywhere and it made me realize how much I missed the creative aspects of my life. It also made me take a step back to think about who I am, my past passions, and how I am not engaging with them the same way anymore. I really think it’s different when you go to art museums alone versus with other people. When you are alone you just have more freedom to soak in the art instead of rushing through and talking over the experience. 
  • Vintage jewelry shop: I stumbled on a local vintage boutique store. The owner was very sweet and helped me choose jewelry that suits my personality. I got a ring with my birthstone! 
  • Food: I went to a restaurant that I have been to before in a group. It was interesting revisiting a similar place but alone this time. I initially felt awkward but then slowly started to enjoy having myself in a company without constantly being in conversation.
  • Morning stroll: I walked everywhere and got lots of steps in. 
  • More coffee: I’m a coffee addict so I had to make another coffee trip. 
  • Since I don’t spend leisure time in Toronto, I found myself looking at the buildings and the water while the locals are all very objective, looking straight ahead, and walking really fast. You can definitely differentiate locals vs. non-locals. 

I have a very bad sense of direction. Without maps, I would never be able to get where I need to go. Because I was on my own, I gave myself the luxury to get lost and see what was happening around me. I only used my phone if there was a specific destination to get to, like the museum. If it was just to get a coffee I walked around until I found a street or store that fit the vibe I was searching for and went for it. I’m normally very picky when it comes to the restaurant or store that I go into because I get sad when a food or drink experience doesn’t taste good. I build anticipation for the experience and when it doesn’t meet my expectations I feel like I wasted so much time, energy, and money. However, this time I made it a point to just have these spontaneous experiences with myself and allowed myself to face potential disappointments. 

At the end of the date, I felt so energized (and I got a lot of steps in)! I honestly encourage everyone to do a solo date. “Love thy own company”. I didn’t listen to music while I was walking around, which honestly enhanced the whole experience. I am constantly playing music through my AirPods, so this time I was able to hear the birds or the rustling of the people around me. I was able to listen to my city’s sound. It’s really nice to immerse yourself fully and to be in the moment. Listening to music 24/7 definitely takes away from that. 

Going on solo dates can be a valuable and rewarding experience that helps you grow as a person, improves your mental well-being, and makes you more self-reliant. So, whether you treat yourself to a special meal, take a relaxing walk, or try something new, carving out some solo time can be an incredibly rewarding and fulfilling experience.

Hello! I am a fourth-year at Western University doing my major in Biology. You will catch me drinking tea, watching thrillers, and shopping. Find me on Instagram @praveena.s