Words Around the World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Travelling is a great way to learn about a new culture. Language, however, can give an interesting insight to country’s culture, and in particular, to its way of thinking. There are so many words from around the world that don’t have exact translations into English. They evoke a sense of meaning that is created from a deeply held cultural value or custom. Below are some words from around the world that don’t have direct translations into English To prove you can’t directly translate some words, read the Google translations that follow the explanations (proof technology isn’t always the best way to go).

• Hygge (Denmark): The word of 2017 it seems. Everywhere social media is using this word with hair colours, interior design, and even beauty regimes, but the origination of the word comes from something much less commercial. Hygge refers to the general warmth and sense of comfort from the harshness of winter provided by good friends and a comforting environment.

• Saudade (Brazil): The deeply felt conflicting sense of happiness, longingness and sadness towards something or someone you don’t have.

• Pura Vida (Costa Rica): Literally translated it means “Pure Life,” but it means so much more. Pura Vida refers to a peaceful lifestyle created by a gracious and grateful sense for the best things in your life.

• Seva (India): To work oneself to the bone in a completely selfless manner. Working in the manner of a slave but by one’s own choice.

• Komorebi (Japan): The sunlight that filters through leaves to create a green calm glow. Although many Japanese may not identify with any religion in particular, they may partake in Shinto rituals. Shintoism roots its belief in the spiritual powers believed to exist in nature. The beliefs of Shinto compliment Buddhism in many ways.

• Abuden (Malaysia): The name used sarcastically to call out someone who states the obvious. (Oh how I wish I could use this in English, I’d be using at least ten times a day!)

• Knackered (England): A word used to describe how absolutely exhausted you are. Like, someone would have to peel you off the floor because you don’t even have the energy to sit up by yourself.

• Sortable (France): Someone who will always find a way to embarrass you. (I am the embodiment of this word, but in a cute way… right?)

• Filotimo (Greece): The highest regard of a person who has honor, respect, and much more. This person is virtuous person in every way because they constantly strive to be. It is a way of life for the Greeks.

Google “Translations”  

• Hygge- Fun

• Saudade- Missing

• Pura Vida- Pure Life

• Seva- Service

• Komorebi- Sunbeam leaves

• Abuden- No translation available, this is more of a slang word

• Knackered- Knackered. Its the same alphabet but American English vs. British English vs. Canadian English vs. Australian English vs. South African English…. OMG

• Sortable- The. Yes, “the”. It’s a miracle I passed Russian given I used Google Translate for most of my assignments.

• Filotimo- Filotimo. There is once again no available translation.
An Australian living in Canada after a brief stop in America. You can typically find me: a) listening to music b) cooking something c) eating said thing d) travelling e) involved in a combination of some (or all) of the above.
This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western.