Why You Should Sign Up for Birthright

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Disclaimer: If you’re reading this you should either be Jewish, or consider converting.

Sign up to receive ten free days in Israel. Yes, a vacation that is entirely paid for. You can embark on the trip of a lifetime despite your humble bank account – are you sold yet?

Birthright is a non-profit educational organization that provides Jewish individuals ages 18-26 with a free trip to Israel. In Hebrew, this trip is better known as “Taglit,” which is translates to “Discovery.”

The trip is for Jewish adults to discover themselves, their heritage as Jewish individuals, and connect with potential Jewish suitors. In fact, one in four birthright participants end up marrying another participant.

The organization began in 1999 as the founders, Charles Bronfman and Michael Steinhardt, believed that every Jewish individual deserved an opportunity to experience their “homeland.” To be eligible for the trip, one has to have at least one parent of recognized descent, and do not actively practice another religion.

As the organization expanded over the years, so have the opportunities that come along with Birthright. The Canadian Israel Experience supports Birthright for Canadian Jews. There are now seven different kinds of trips available in Canada alone, including a Canadian national, university and college campus trips, and the classic experience for those located in the same city.

There is also the option to choose a spiritual guided trip, a LGBTQ guided trip, as well as an active trip. With so many different options, individuals have the opportunity to connect more closely with the land, themselves, and their peers; thus making it a more enjoyable and memorable experience.

Although there are many different types of trips, each trip consists of the same activities, sites, and tours. One will experience so many highlights and tourist attractions in just ten days.

These experiences include, but are not limited to; Old Jafa, various hikes, the religious city of Tzfat, wine tasting, Jordan River rafting, The Western Wall and the Old City, Ben Yehuda Street, Ya’d Vashem (Holocaust Museum), Mount Herzl, National Military Cemetery, Judean Desert, Bedouin tents, Camel riding, Masada climbing, Ein Gedi Spa, The Dead Sea, volunteer programming, Tel Aviv, The Carmel Market, Rabin Square, Gordon Beach, Shabbat programming, and more!

Individuals make friendships that will last a lifetime, as they connect with fellow bus members, birthright staff, security guards, tour guides, and Israeli soldiers, who join the trip for a “Mifgash” program.

The “Mifgash” program is the most rewarding feature of the trip. “Mifgash” is the Hebrew word for encounter. For five days of the trip, eight Israeli soldiers, who are of similar age, join the tour.

The goal is for Birthright participants, as well as the soldiers, to get to know each other’s worldviews and Jewish identities. This program allows Birthright participants to get to know and understand how similar they are to the Israeli soldiers, yet live such different lives.

Once being accepted on the trip, your trip leaders will be in contact with you to guide you through the next steps. The flight will be booked and taken care of, all that is required of you is to show up at the airport on time – it’s that easy.

Some may argue of not wanting a trip that is extremely structured. Well, there is an option to extend your flight after the ten days of the Birthright trip. This incredible feature allows you to extend your return flight for up to three months. This means you can either stay in Israel longer and experience the culture on your own, or travel from Israel and make your way back for your returning flight.

Once in Israel, flights to Europe and surrounding countries are often inexpensive, and close enough for travel.

Once the trip is done, you will have made friendships and memories that will last you a lifetime. The best part is, you can do it all over again and become a Birthright leader the year after.