This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Remember when you were a teenager, and your response to pretty much any question was “whatever”? It took a lot for you to be impressed, and most things were met with disinterest and an eye roll. I was definitely a passive, jaded teenager, but thankfully grew out of that stage.

Some people don’t, and still think that it’s “cool” to hate everything.

Those people are so boring to be around.

Can you imagine asking someone what they want to eat or do and they roll their eyes and say “whatever”? Or if you’re talking to someone about something you’re passionate about and they scoff at you? The worst is when you’re talking to someone (this is such a big sign of immaturity in my opinion) and they say that they’re bored or that something is boring. People like that are boring.

It used to be so cool to hate everything, and to passively float through life. Hating everything is easy—you don’t open yourself up to any vulnerabilities by enjoying life or anything in it. If something brings you happiness, it can be taken away, and that sucks. But hating everything and everyone all the time sucks a lot more. Wouldn’t you rather appreciate the simple pleasures in life while you’re young and healthy and can enjoy those things?

So many incredible things happen every day. The sun rises and sets every single day all by itself, and we count on that reliability. Every morning, your body wakes itself up. Your body breathes and thinks and keeps you alive and you don’t tell it to do anything. We should be so grateful for these little things that we take for granted.

I want to be the type of person, and I want to be surrounded by the type of people, who are mystified by the little things. The type of people who laugh easily and often, and whose eyes light up when they talk about their passions and their interests and the things and people that they love.

It’s the little things in life, right? Such a cliché, but it’s a cliché for a reason: because it’s true.

Appreciate the world and the people around you. Be excited! Be actively engaged in your life. Say yes! Try new things. My family’s motto is that you can’t knock it until you try it. And I wish more people thought this way, instead of going into things with a negative mindset. Every day is a new opportunity, and a new chance to make your life what you want it to be.

Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader. 
This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western.