This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Red cups at Starbucks, promotions at the mall, decorations, carols, trees….

Christmas is coming!

As you probably know, Christmas is a wonderful holiday in the month of December that has been reportedly celebrated since the year 336. Christmas is one of my favourite times of the year.

Here are five reasons why I love Christmas: 

1. Decorations

Pretty lights, trees, ornaments, candy canes, bells, candles, snow globes, stockings, and the list goes on. It is so exciting to put up decorations of your own and see all of the Christmas lights and decorations around the city.

2. Spending time with family

Spending time with family on Christmas always feels particularly special. Many great memories are made during this time of year as families gather together, eat good food, and open gifts. And for many people, this is one of the only times of the year that they get to spend with their family.

3. Joy

Generally, people always seem much happier, empathetic, and generous around Christmas time. It is a time when people tend to be happy and thankful for all of the good things in their lives, especially loved ones.

4. Christmas movies

One of the best parts about Christmas is watching Christmas movies. Some of my favourites include: Home Alone, A Christmas Story, Elf, The Polar Express, and It’s a Wonderful Life.

5. Holiday

And finally, Christmas is a statutory holiday! Whether you are in school or working, you get at least Christmas day off and if you’re lucky, a few days. This means more time to spend with family, watch Christmas movies and hopefully, relax.

Currently a fourth year philosophy student at Western University and Junior Events Executive for Her Campus.
Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader.