andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why I Love Being an Only Child

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

I have always loved being an only child. Even as a child, my parents would ask me if I wanted any siblings, and my response was always no.

Firstly, no, I am not spoiled. I am lucky and grateful to have a hard working father who provides me with everything I need. But I do not get anything I want by stomping my foot and yelling “Daddy, please!”

As an only child, I became independent and mature more quickly. When I wasn’t playing with my friends, I spent a lot of time with adults, which resulted in earlier exposure to grown-up conversations and topics. By the age of eight, I would wake up early to make my own breakfast. And not because my parents weren’t around to do it for me, I just enjoyed doing so. Moreover, I have always been able to confidently make my own decisions and not follow the crowd, even if that meant “missing out” or being the odd one out.

No, I did not have a lonely childhood. As a child, I had plenty of friends on my street to hang out and play with. When I was not playing with friends, I was using my imagination and creativity to create games and activities for myself. Now, as a young adult, I am very comfortable being alone. Don’t get me wrong, I love the company of others but I also enjoy my own company. As an only child, I learned to be comfortable being alone and not depend on others for company, because for me, being alone does not equal loneliness.

Growing up, I never had to share things. This includes my parents’ attention, as well as material items. And while sometimes my parents worry about me too much, I do like being the center of their world, and it’s nice to not have to deal with any “favourite child” drama. I like that my parents don’t have to worry about treating each child the exact same way attention-wise or even financially, to avoid any tension or conflict. As a child, I liked that my toy was my toy, and that my computer was my computer and I didn’t have to fight anyone to use it. And just to be clear, no, I am not selfish. While I did grow up without having to share things, I will now happily share with my roommates when necessary.

I like that I don’t have to compete with anyone. I don’t have anyone that my parents will compare me to or that I will compare myself to. I don’t have any set expectations or standards to live up to. I can focus on myself and what I would like to do without fear of not living up to the standards set by a sibling.

And yes, as with anything in life, there may be potential cons. However, personally, the pros of being an only child outweigh any potential cons, and I would not change it for the world.

Currently a fourth year philosophy student at Western University and Junior Events Executive for Her Campus.
Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader.