samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why I Don’t Write More Articles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

I am not a prolific writer. My author page boasts a mere four articles (two of which are event coverages and the other two being unsuccessful event calendars, prompting me to abandon them). As part of the editorial team for Her Campus Western (HCW), one might expect that I would contribute more to HCW’s output. Although I may enjoy reading the blog articles and anonymous features on our site, I don’t race to write one myself. The content is attractive because it is relatable, but it is relatable because it is personal. I applaud our writers who are able to share their emotions and (often private) experiences, but I don’t possess the same openness.

This was my first semester as a member of HCW; it wasn’t necessary for me to be a contributing writer before becoming an editor. They are two different positions demanding different qualities. Although many others on our editorial team have an impressively high output, publishing is simply not for me. I am too private and too paranoid to post regularly on a site with as much traffic as HCW—even in the articles I’ve written, there is admittedly a certain level of detachment. 

My lack of visible contribution, however, isn’t indicative of my commitment to the chapter. In any creative sector, there are those whose names are known, and those whose names are not. We know the names of pop stars, but not their songwriters; the names of actors and actresses, but not the production team; the MC of an event, but not the stage crew; the names of authors, but not their editors. All these people, whether or not they receive widespread recognition, are instrumental to the final products. 

As editors, we are expected to be available almost all the time. We always have our content spreadsheet open, ready to do first, second, and even third edits. We upload upwards to 25 articles a week, scrupulously following all of National’s guidelines. As one of Her Campus’ largest chapters, working to meet deadlines can bleed late into the night. It is rewarding, though, to see our writers develop and it is a source of pride to see their articles succeed. 

With so much emphasis on outspokenness and extraversion, we often forget that these exist only in relation to quiet introspection and introversion. I admire those who are outwardly confident, who are great leaders, and who can network with ease, adopting different personalities to suit the situation. But I also admire those who stay in the background, who can predict and eliminate potential obstacles before they appear, and who work quietly but diligently, making sure everything runs smoothly. It is impossible to say that one personality type is objectively better than the other (nor can people be strictly categorized in this way). 

Although I recognize that challenging yourself to be uncomfortable is an opportunity for growth, I will continue to avoid the limelight. I am perfectly content being the songwriter, the production team, or the stage crew. Perhaps I will write more in the new year, perhaps I will not. Like our personalities, there is no hierarchy; writing is not better than editing or vice versa—they are just different.