This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

As Hermione Grainger in Harry Potter, Emma Watson made having big crazy hair, a knack for reading and education something to be proud of (even if it meant putting up with some flack from the guys). It’s been 5 years since the final HP movie was released, and Watson still has so many of us under her spell. Here are just a few examples of why everyone’s favourite mudblood has become such a role model.

1. An Ethical Fashion Icon

After partnering with Burberry’s 2009 Autumn/Winter campaign and becoming the face of Lancôme in March 2011, Watson directed her modeling career toward the fair trade fashion brand, People Tree.

“Fashion is a great way to empower people and give them skills” Watson said regarding her spring line. “Rather than give cash to charity you can help people by buying the clothes they make and supporting things they take pride in;” adding, “I think young people like me are becoming increasingly aware of the humanitarian issues surrounding fast fashion and want to make good choices but there aren’t many options out there.”

Watson has become iconic for promoting eco-friendly, ethical ad sustainable fashion. Let’s not forget the stunning dress Watson helped design and wore to the Met Gala this year, made from recycled plastic bottles.

2. A body-positive and feminist role model

In her role as Belle in Beauty and the Beast, Watson admitted that she refused to wear a corset under her dresses as the well-known Disney princess. Not only does this support more realistic body image for young girls, but her re-vamped portrayal of Belle is noteworthy as well. While the Disney princess is already known for being strong-willed and intelligent, Watson is taking the portrayal of female empowerment to the next level; Belle will be portrayed as an inventor as well. As noted in TeenVogue, Watson’s Belle will invent a washing machine that frees up time for the girls in her village to go to school and read.

3. Inspiring and genuine

As a perfectionist myself, I admire those who are able to set their insecurities aside and focus on living a full life, rather than getting caught up on living a “perfect” life. Emma Watson is the embodiment of inspiration in this regard. Despite seeming pretty perfect herself, Watson is extremely humble and refreshingly human compared to other celebrities.

“I don’t have perfect teeth, I’m not stick thin. I want to be the person who feels great in her body and can say that she loves it and doesn’t want to change anything,” she admits to Elle magazine.

Amy Skodak is a first year student at Western University studying English Literature and Creative Writing with a minor in Visual Arts. She is passionate about arts and culture, photography, music, astronomy, travel and adventure. Outside of class she is a reporter for Western TV and writes for the campus newspaper. In her free time you can find her eating macaroons and watching an Audrey Hepburn classic -- Blair Waldorf style.
Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader.