Why The Bee Movie Is The Greatest Movie Of All Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Arguably one of the wittiest animated films of the early 2000s, the Bee Movie offers more than just a little something sweet. It’s a timeless classic. If you want to learn to stand up for the things you believe in—watch the Bee Movie. If you want some wholesome family content—watch the Bee Movie. If you want unrequited love, determination and pure cinematic genius—watch the Bee Movie. In short, go watch the Bee Movie

This ingenious movie stars Jerry Seinfeld, who along with several other talented writers and producers, wrote the screenplay for the Bee Movie. Seinfeld was not only the leading man behind the movie, but also the voice of none other than our protagonist Barry Benson. 

The story follows Barry as he navigates a new part of his bee life, in which he is essentially meant to choose one occupation and stick to it until he dies. Unhappy with the idea of being a potential honey stirrer forever, Barry heads off into the human world. There he realizes that humans have been taking honey from bees and so, with the help of his human friend Vanessa, they take back the honey. However, without bees pollinating the flowers, the world begins to die—and thus comes the moral of the story where bees and humans are interdependent. 

The Bee Movie has many layers. From the visual animation to the script, there are so many aspects that contribute to the success of the movie. The soundtrack is also absolute gold. The Beatles’ “Here Comes the Sun” at the very end scene? Too good. And then there’s the notion of a bee teaching a human how to fly a plane. It could work, considering bees can fly better than humans. 

Now let us discuss the best part about the movie. The opening quote: 

“According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way that a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway. Because bees don’t care what humans think is impossible.”

Again, pure cinematic genius. If you did not feel a pool of absolute hope when you read that, I’m not sure what to tell you. Factually, it is slightly incorrect, but that’s not the point. The point of the matter is that any movie that can create a quote applicable to anything in everyday life should win an Oscar. 

For example: if you don’t feel like you’re accomplishing anything—think bee. If a bee can defeat the laws of aviation, you can beat societal norms. It’s straight facts. You are as powerful and mighty as a bee. 

If you’re looking for everything and more within the span of an hour and a half—go watch the Bee Movie.