Western University’s Fashion and Lifestyle Society Hits the Runway with ELLIPSIS

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Western University’s Fashion and Lifestyle Society (F&LS) will host its 2018 spring charity fashion show on Saturday, March 3 at Museum London.

The spring fashion show has taken on the name of “ELLIPSIS,” representing how identity and technology facilitate a form of disconnected connection.

“ELLIPSIS will deconstruct the side effects of digital curation on social media and explore the various personas that unfold from it, while revealing the possibility of disconnection that is born from the act of connection,” according to the F&LS Facebook page.

The show will promote its intended message of self-reflection through various clothing designs meant to demonstrate scenes of power, illusion, status and ghost.

“Think likes, comments, and new followers translated to tulle, flowy silhouettes, and soft colours,” said Laura Robinson, a stylist for the illusion scene. “If I had to liken it to a feeling, I would call it euphoria.”

Each scene of the show is meant to explore and reflect a different online identity.

All event proceeds will be donated to WAYS mental health support, a not-for-profit organization that provides support to at-risk youth in London, Ontario. F&LS plans to further support WAYS by showing the connection between social media and mental health through fashion.

“It is clear that there is a link between the disruptive aspects of social media and the status of one’s mental health,” said Savana Gray, President of F&LS. “We are happy to be donating to WAYS as a contribution to mental health support.”

General admission to the event costs $20. VIP admission costs $30 and includes front row seating, along with a gift bag. The event will be from 6-8pm and tickets can be purchased online.

For more information on the show’s designs, check out the F&LS lookbook!