Western University Student Named 2018 Rhodes Scholar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

A Western University student has been named as a recipient of the 2018 Rhodes Scholarship.

Levi Hord, a fourth-year Sexuality Studies, School for Advanced Studies in Arts & Humanities and Scholar’s Electives student, has been chosen for this honour.

The Rhodes Scholarship is an international postgraduate award for students to study at the University of Oxford in England. The award is dedicated to students that have literary and scholastic attainments and apply their talents to the fullest extent. Scholars are also awarded for their truth, courage and devotion to duty and leadership ability. The award is considered one of the world’s most prestigious scholarships.

“Our mission is to identify and develop leaders to achieve public good. This is what the Rhodes Scholarships have done, with remarkable success, since their inception in 1903,” according to the Rhodes House website.

Hord’s educational career has been dedicated to transgender community advocacy, and has remained committed to the use of gender-neutral language.

Hord’s dedication to gender and identity began in elementary school while struggling with the concept of identity on a personal level.

“At first, it had to do with sexuality…I would use the term lesbian,” said Hord, according to the London Free Press.

While at Western, Hord has completed extensive research on gender studies and is dedicated to raising awareness of transgender identities in society.

While at Oxford University in 2018, Hord plans to complete a double master’s degree in women’s studies and political theory.

Hord shares his excitement for this opportunity and his desire to be challenged.

“There’s no other group of people in this world who could push my thought forward or challenge it. I want my thought to be challenged – that’s the only way we can move forward,” said Hord, according to the London Free Press.

Hord is Western University’s 23rd Rhode Scholars recipient.