We Need to Stop Trashing the Trump Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Burlington Coat Factory and Nordstrom are the latest major retailers to drop Ivanka Trump’s clothing line.

Melania Trump was called a hooker by a New York Times reporter in a “private conversation.” (Side note: Isn’t this just as bad as pretending that conversations about sexual assault are simply “locker room talk?”)

Neither Ivanka nor Melania are the ones who are making major policy decisions. Neither woman is in the Oval Office.

While being in the public eye of course leads to public commentary, both women are being attacked unfairly for their father and husband’s actions. And this isn’t okay. More often than not, the people attacking these women oppose Trump’s politics, and are women who claim to be feminists. How can you be a feminist if you whip your head around and sh*t-talk a woman in the public eye, simply because you don’t like what someone related to her is doing?

Whether you support Trump’s politics or not, dragging his wife and his daughter through the mud is absolutely inexcusable. Retailers refusing to carry Ivanka’s line is not okay—fashion retailers have no business making a political statement such as this, and the choice should be up to consumers. If you choose not to purchase Ivanka’s merchandise, that is your prerogative. But it should bother you that a store is telling you what you can and cannot purchase (and similarly what political beliefs are and are not okay) by refusing to carry a fashion line. If you hate Trump and his politics, that’s fine. But pretending to be a feminist advocate and then trashing these two women isn’t okay.

Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader. 
This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western.