Her Campus Logo Her Campus Logo
/ Unsplash

Trick or Eat with Western Meal Exchange

Western Meal Exchange is hosting their annual “Trick or Eat” event this Halloween, where students dress up, form teams and go door-to-door collecting food and funds for the London Food Bank.

          Photo Provided by Western Meal Exchange

Meal Exchange is a nationwide student-run organization with 20 campus-based chapters. Their goal is to educate and empower students to take an active role in improving their local food system, including working with communities to increase access to healthy and sustainable food.

Trick or Eat is their largest campaign, as thousands of “trick or eaters” across Canada collect non-perishable items and canned goods around their neighbourhood to address food insecurity in Canadian communities and campuses.

Last year, Western University’s chapter raised 1,356 lbs of food for the London Food Bank with the help of 70 to 80 participants, according to Natasha Mathew, the VP of Events and third-year medical science and environmental science student.

The community of London continuously supports their spin on trick or treating through their generous donations.

“I’d say about 90% of the houses we go to donate to us and they love the initiative! The other 10% generally either don’t have non-perishables with them or aren’t home at the time,” said Mathew.

When asked about her favourite part of the club, Mathew said, “The best part about Meal Exchange are the hands-on volunteering opportunities. Trick or Eat is awesome because it’s just as fun as trick or treating, but so much more worthwhile.”

Meal Exchange runs many programs and campaigns, including volunteering at Ark Aid, a soup kitchen located in downtown London, which is one of Mathew’s favourite volunteering initiatives.

“Not only do we get to make food for those who need a hot meal, but we get to serve it and have conversations with them which is such a rewarding experience. It’s opportunities like these that force our memories out of the ‘Western bubble’ every so often while giving back to the London community,” explained Mathew.

Trick or Eat is held from 5:30pm to 8:00pm on Halloween night. Participants meet at the UCC in room 56, where food and refreshments will be provided.

To register as an individual or as a team, click “Participate” on their website. Registration closes on Sunday, October 29.

In addition, each individual who registers online and raises $50 or more will receive a free t-shirt from a clothing company called TenFed. The company also plans to provide 10 healthy meals to children in need for every shirt they give out.  

For more information on this event, check out their Facebook page.

Will you trick or eat this year? Let us know in the comments below!

Related articles:

Want more HCW? Check us out on social media!

FacebookTwitterInstagram

Melody Lau

Western '20

Melody is a fourth-year student at Western, majoring in Media, Information and Technoculture and an aspiring journalist. She is a member of the news team and loves poutine, fluffy dogs, and traveling. Instagram: @melodyl143
Similar Reads👯‍♀️