This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Much like any other person this year who has not been living under a rock, I’ve been listening to folklore and evermore by Taylor Swift, who so graciously dropped not one, but TWO surprise albums to save us from the neverending tragedy that is 2020. As if giving me a heart attack at eight am in the middle of July while I was studying for my MCAT wasn’t enough, Ms. Swift did it again in December while I was studying for finals. As such, I’ve spent the past six months mourning breakups I’ve never been through, friends I’ve never lost, and living out stories that are not mine.

Given that folklore and evermore are sister records stemming from the same universe, I found comparing the two surprisingly interesting. I myself am an evermore stan before I am a folklore stan, but to each their own. Despite that, there are some tracks that I like on folklore more than on evermore, and I thought it would be fun to do a track-by-track elimination and make a compilation with my favourite songs for each track listing on both albums. 

Although both deluxe versions have 17 tracks each, currently only the standard version of evermore is out with 15 tracks. As such, I’ll only be comparing the first 15 tracks for both albums here. So without further ado, I present to you a Taylor Swift-style Russian roulette:

1. “the 1” vs “willow

Okay, right off the bat this is one of the hardest picks off of both albums for me because both songs are my favourites from their respective albums. I love “the 1” for the breakup realness it’s serving and because it perfectly captured exactly how I was feeling about my own heartbreak in July. On the other hand, “willow” has the most beautiful melody I’ve just about ever heard. I’m a huge sucker for acoustic songs and albums, and even though I might not relate to “willow” the same way I did to “the 1”, it ultimately has more replay value for me. It also doesn’t hurt that the third verse right before the end of “willow” has me crawling back at least 5x daily.

WINNER: “willow”

2. “cardigan” vs “champagne problems

This one is a no-brainer. Not only is “cardigan” folklore’s lead single, but it’s also objectively a million times better than “champagne problems” and is the reason why I spent way too much money on a wool-knit cardigan this fall. I don’t even like cardigans or wool! While I do think “champagne problems” tugs on the heartstrings with an unfortunate story about a rejected proposal, “cardigan” stands out more in my mind because of its memorable melody. I apologize in advance because you’re gonna hear me talk about melodies a lot in this review. They make or break a song for me way before the lyrics ever do.

WINNER: “cardigan”

3. “the last great american dynasty” vs “gold rush”    

After track one, this is probably the second toughest pick for me. I genuinely love both these songs so much that I don’t even know where to start. “the last great american dynasty” is playful, telling the story of Rebekah Harkness in such a lighthearted, lovely way that it’s irresistible. “gold rush”, on the other hand, is about falling for someone who everyone else wants and wanting to avoid the danger of competition. Ultimately, both are equally remarkable for me melodically and lyrically, but “the last great american dynasty” has to take the cake here. The surprise twist at the end which revealed that the house in the song is the same house that Taylor herself bought seals the deal and takes it to the next level.

WINNER: “the last great american dynasty”

4. “exile” (feat. Bon Iver) vs “’tis the damn season

Unpopular opinion: I hate “exile”. It’s boring melodically, the lyrics are too repetitive to let the film metaphor breathe, and I don’t like Justin Vernon’s voice. At the same time, I’m also not a fan of “‘tis the damn season”, BUT having let evermore play on repeat, I’ve really warmed up to the airy, drum-driven sound. I also like the narrative—the idea of coming home for the holidays and falling for someone that was there all along—much better than the failed relationship that plays out in “exile,” which is a cliche I’ve grown a little tired of seeing.

WINNER: “‘tis the damn season”

5. “my tears ricochet” vs “tolerate it

This is a difficult choice, given that these are track fives, which are a huge centerpiece in any Taylor Swift album and are intentionally chosen for this exact track listing. All in all, I think “my tears ricochet” clinches it, if only by a hair. I do love “tolerate it” but the production is a little too stripped back for my taste. “my tears ricochet” is a subtle revenge song that plays on the concept of taking the high road in hurtful situations rather than directly fighting back. Sometimes the greatest hurt you can cause someone is not by seeking revenge yourself, but by letting the person realize what they’ve lost because of their actions and hurting from that instead. “tolerate it” is a masterpiece of its own about giving too much love to an ex-lover without ever getting a fraction of it back. The song has some of the most heartbreaking lyrics on either album: “I know my love should be celebrated, but you tolerate it.” Tough pick between two career-best track fives, but I’ve made peace with my choice.

WINNER: “my tears ricochet”

6. “mirrorball” vs “no body, no crime” (feat. HAIM)

This is another no-brainer for me. First of all, “no body, no crime” has such phenomenal storytelling built into its three verses that it’s ridiculous a song this short could pack such a punch. To add to that, I love HAIM, and this is one of very few country songs on this planet that I not only tolerate, but also immensely enjoy. For some reason, I despise “mirrorball.” The sound of it is just unbearable even though the idea behind it – putting on different personas for different people to maintain their interest in you, is highly relatable and nicely captured by the image of a disco ball with all its little glass faces. “no body, no crime” tells the story of Este, who is murdered by her adulterous husband for accusing him of cheating. The surprise twist kicks in when we learn that Este’s best friend ends up killing the husband and gets away with it. I mean, come ON. You know you would do that for your best friend if you were a real one. It’s such a fun listening experience and the country sound is a nice return for Taylor to her roots.

WINNER: “no body, no crime” 

7. “seven” vs “happiness

I think this is the last really tough choice for me. Whereas “seven” tells the story of an abusive childhood, “happiness” tells the story of someone dealing with the aftermath of a breakup and realizing that villainizing their former lover won’t bring them back or make them a better match. While I appreciate the maturity in “happiness” and I’m proud of Taylor for continuing to evolve this far into her career, “seven” is an absolute work of art. The layers of abuse that are hidden in the eyes of a child and how they see the world is so underrated. The song highlights the importance of having supportive friends who can tether you to the good in the midst of a world of bad and for people with a similar childhood experience, this song is gut-wrenching. For these reasons, it wins, if only by a teeny bit.

WINNER: “seven”

8. “august” vs “dorothea

This choice is probably also going to get me a lot of heat because people love “august” and while I do too, “dorothea” is just a gem. The melody in “dorothea” carries so much warmth and comfort that I often listen to it when I have difficulty falling asleep. There’s a few theories about who “dorothea” is written for, but regardless of the answer, the idea of missing a friend who fell away is potent enough on its own. Giving life to the perspective of the other woman on “august” was also a marvellous concept, one that Taylor executed brilliantly, but there’s just something about “dorothea” that I keep coming back to.

WINNER: “dorothea”

9. “this is me trying” vs “coney island” (feat. The National)

This is challenging not because I really like both songs, but because I dislike them. Although they’re both skillfully written, I just can’t bring myself to like either of them. I admire Taylor’s acknowledgement of people who are going through everyday battles and choosing to keep going in “this is me trying”, and the play on a relationship that went sour too soon on “coney island”, but both of them failed to impress me. And that’s totally fine, I’m sure for some people these are the best songs on both albums, but they weren’t for me. If I really had to pick, I would go with “this is me trying” because it hits a little bit closer to home.

WINNER: “this is me trying”

10. “illicit affairs” vs “ivy

Much like most of the latter half of folklore, I did not like “illicit affairs”. I think it has a couple of cool standout moments melodically and the mix is very well-done, however, it failed to leave an impression on me. While both of these songs tell tales of forbidden affairs, I love the use of imagery on “ivy”, including “my house of stone, your ivy grows, and now I’m covered in you”. Overall, “ivy” paints a fuller picture in my head, and while “illicit affairs” was not a bad song by any means, I was in no rush to play it over and over the way I did “ivy”.

WINNER: “ivy”

11. “invisible string” vs “cowboy like me

“invisible string” has what is possibly the prettiest lead guitar line on both albums and the lyrics truly brought the melody to life. The idea of fate is beautifully reduced to a golden string that ties together and guides all the events of your life on this song, and for once the simplicity is what gives it its edge over “cowboy like me”. I find that “cowboy like me” is usually a skip for me and even though the lyrics tell of two swindlers who reluctantly fall in love, it just doesn’t bring anything else special to the table, especially not when “invisible string” exists.

WINNER: “invisible string”

1. mad woman” vs “long story short

Don’t get me wrong, I love the idea of reclaiming the narrative of being an angry woman and being blasted for it, but “long story short” is such a fun song, kind of like the older, wiser sister to “Shake It Off” from 2014’s 1989. In it, Taylor looks back on the media blitz that marked the end of her 1989 album cycle in 2016 and ultimately ended up shaping the sound and aesthetics of reputation in 2017. She describes how she realized in hindsight that while it was definitely a low point in her life, she made it out with the longest relationship she’s ever been in, and the relief that the people who wronged her got their fair share of karma. It’s lighthearted, it’s catchy, and sometimes that’s all you need to say about a crappy situation that has defined a significant portion of your life.

WINNER: “long story short”

13. “epiphany” vs “marjorie

Track thirteens are also important for a songwriter who is known for her favourite number, thirteen. What’s especially neat about these two songs is that they’re both about Taylor’s grandparents. “epiphany” details Taylor’s grandfather’s experience in WWII while doubling as a tribute to frontline workers in the current pandemic. “marjorie”, the complement to “epiphany”, is a heartwarming retelling of Taylor’s relationship with her grandmother, who nurtured Taylor’s love for music. In one way or another, our loved ones live on in us, and for Taylor, they live in the brilliantly written verses of her songs. While both tracks go hand in hand, I love the progression in “marjorie” of not knowing better to eventually knowing better.

WINNER: “marjorie”

14. “betty” vs “closure

“betty” serves as the last piece in the trilogy about teenage James cheating on his girlfriend Betty (whose perspective is in “cardigan”) with an unnamed girl (whose perspective can be found in “august”). While it’s a fun country tune written from James’s perspective asking for Betty’s forgiveness, I enjoyed the instrumental chaos that is “closure” a bit more. It hits closer to home and is a nice little shoutout to your ex on the album. Written from that place where you finally could not be bothered by your ex anymore, it’s a good way to close off a romantic chapter in your life and in my mind, serves as the last piece after “happiness” in the process of a breakup.

WINNER: “closure”

15. “peace” vs “evermore” (feat. Bon Iver)

Once again, kind of a tough choice, but I think this one goes to “peace”. While I wasn’t immediately a fan of the strobe synth, that element is what gives the song the serenity it’s named after. “evermore” is not a weak song at all and in fact, I think it’s a perfect album closer about the nonlinear and sometimes frustrating process of healing, but I find myself going back to revisit “peace” as a standalone way more frequently. Written about the fear of not being able to give your loved ones the treatment they deserve due to external factors out of your control, it’s an underrated soft spot on the album. One that you definitely don’t want to miss.

WINNER: “peace”

Overall, while I do like evermore better, I’m super grateful that Taylor released anything at all this year, let alone two albums in the space of five months. Both folklore and evermore have something for everyone and while my favourites are masterpieces in my mind, I know that’s not the same for other people and that’s the magic of subjectivity in art. Anyhow, enough about my opinions. Take a peek through some of the links I’ve sprinkled in if you haven’t already listened to the albums, form your own opinions, and then spread the gospel of Taylor Swift for all to hear!