This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Not going anywhere for the holidays? No worries! We’ve got you covered with a list of activities that will get you in the holiday spirit!

1. Build a gingerbread house

There’s nothing like building your dream home in one afternoon. It’s cheap, it’s fun, it’s tasty and it’s an amazing thing to do with friends and family.

2. Check out your local Christmas scene

Every city is unique when it comes to Christmas décor. If you’re in Toronto for the holidays, check out the Eaton Centre for Canada’s largest Christmas tree and the Hudson Bay Company’s annual Christmas-themed windows.

3. Make a Christmas playlist

Make your Christmas playlist now so you’re prepared to blast it all holiday season long. Here are a few tracks to get you started: “All I want for Christmas” by Mariah Carey, “Underneath the Christmas Tree” by Kelly Clarkson, “Christmas Eve” by Celine Dion and Michael Bublé’s entire Christmas album.

4. Enjoy winter sports

I love winter sports so I’m lucky to be living in Canada where there are so many places to skate, ski and snowboard. Check out Nathan Phillips Square in Toronto and Victoria Park in London for outdoor skating. If you want to venture out of the city for better skiing and snowboarding, Blue Mountain is a three-hour drive away.

5. Watch Christmas movies

It’s pretty cold out there, so why not spend some time inside watching Christmas classics? My extensive list of favourites includes How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Elf, Love Actually, and of course… Home Alone one and two. Happy watching!

6. Try a new recipe

With exams over and done with, you’ve probably got some time on your hands. Try out some new recipes so you can impress all of your friends at the next holiday potluck. I watch Tasty holiday videos on the daily for ideas and inspiration.

7. DIY Presents

This Christmas, my friends and I agreed to make presents for our gift exchange rather than buy them. Some of these gifts include decorated picture frames, homemade cards and Christmas sweaters, baked goods, and paintings. DIY presents add a personal touch to whatever it is that you’re giving to friends and family. I often look to Pinterest for gift ideas and will make a day out of baking, making, cutting and gluing.

8. Watch Vlogmas

I spend an abnormal amount of time on YouTube. If you’re looking for more Holiday ideas, check out the following YouTube channels to get some inspiration: MoreZoella, TanyaBurr, Niomi Smart and Twinmas with Niki and Sammy.

Megan is a fourth year student at Western University, studying at the Ivey Business School. She one day hopes to pursue a career that merges technology and marketing. In her spare time, Megan loves to dance, write, and travel. 
This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western.