Three Easy and Affordable Ways to Bring Christmas to Your Room This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

The smell of pine needles, glimmer of snow, and vibrant red and green decorations bring to mind the iconic Christmas aesthetic and make me feel warm and fuzzy inside. One of my favourite ways to celebrate the holidays is decorating a tree or making wreaths for the front door. However, as a student, these activities might not always be feasible in your dorm or rental. Here are three easy and affordable ways to bring major Christmas vibes into your room this winter so you don’t have to sacrifice the magical feeling of the holidays.

1. Candles & Incense

Christmas decorations aren’t the only way to start the celebrations! Delicious smells like freshly baked gingerbread, pine from a freshly cut Christmas tree, and a mug of warm apple cider immediately evoke memories of sitting by the fire and watching the snow fall. While it might be impossible to find time to bake cookies, cut and decorate a tree, and brew a warm apple cider between projects and exams, using holiday-themed candles and incense can help create the aroma of Christmas in your room.

2. DIY Tree

The oh-so iconic fir tree is the most basic, essential Christmas decoration. However, with limited time from the start of exam season, and a student budget amid the cost of textbooks, daily Starbucks, and groceries, having a Christmas tree can be impractical. Instead, add a few ornaments to your aloe plant or cut a small branch from a pine tree and place it in a vase to serve as a mini Christmas tree. This way your room can still have a cute Christmas centrepiece without the hassle of a tree.

3. Colour Sorting Decorations

Using red, green, and white decorations sets the perfect, classic Christmas colour scheme. Instead of buying decorations, try selecting and organizing the items you already have in your room to match Christmas colours. You can get creative by turning the red and green covered books on your bookshelf to face your room while flipping around the others, or hanging your red, green, and white clothes if you have a standalone clothing rack in your room. There are lots of ways to use this trick with items you already have!

With these three easy and affordable tips you’ll be able to celebrate the holidays in your room without breaking the bank or having to worry about complicated and time consuming decorations!