Thousands of College Students Receive Tuition Refunds After Strike

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Approximately 25,700 full-time Ontario college students received tuition refunds after a five-week-strike.

The Ontario government offered a full tuition refund to students who withdrew from this semester.

Ontario’s Ministry of Advanced Education confirmed that 10.3 percent of Ontario’s roughly 250,000 full-time college students asked for, and received, their money back after the strike, reported by The Canadian Press.

Minister Deb Matthews said the figures are preliminary and could change as further numbers are reported by Ontario’s 24 colleges.

“Over the past months, I have heard from students about hardships they have experienced as a result of this strike,” she said. “It is clear that they have borne the brunt of the labour dispute between colleges and faculty. Preliminary reports from colleges indicate that the vast majority, approximately 90 percent of students, chose to stay and finish the semester,” according to The Canadian Press.

“I want to say to those students who did decide to withdraw, we hope you will return to college,” she said. “We need your talent and skills in this province and want to keep seeing you succeed. We will work with colleges to support and encourage students to re-enroll,” continued Matthews.

Matthews stated that she expects many students who withdrew from this semester will re-enroll in college in January or September.