Things I’ve Learned Since Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Things I’ve Learned Since Freshman Year…

Slow your load. Time flies. It’s crazy to think you will never ever live in this same exact moment again. These years will be the most amazing, titillating, perilous, exhilarating, lust-filled, exhausting, nauseating, disheartening, years of your lives. I

Apologize. It’s never worth it to stay mad. It takes energy, thoughts and effort. You won’t remember that little fight, trust me. Suck it up and say sorry. Close your ears sit down and breath before you say anything. Don’t be rash.

It’s important to forgive but keep in mind, how many times can someone f*ck up?

Do what you want. If you want to text him, f*cking text him. Don’t be worried whether you’re too clingy. This is who you are, somone will like you for you. If not there’s always cats & dogs.

It’s okay to curl up in a ball and bawl your eyes out at all his unkept promises when you’re heartbroken. But you get a day, one week maximum to wallow over a tub of mint chocolate chip ice-cream and Disney movies. Pick yourself up darling. If it’s meant to be you will always find your way back. Heartbreak is good. But don’t let it destroy you. He came into your life as a lesson or a blessing. Grow.

If not. You’re friends may be your true love at this age. If you’re not losing friends, you’re not growing. If a friendship becomes “an effort”, its not worth it. Friendship is supposed to easy.

You’re life will always be a revolving door. People will come and go. Some may be there for a recess break and some might be there for the long run. Appreciate those that stuck around.

Maya Angelou was right when she said that they might forget the words you said but they will never forget the way you made them feel.

Stop freaking over a test, or a quiz or an essay. Do your best. Try your hardest. You won’t necessarily remeber whether you got a 70 or an 80 but you will remember that night out, that movie you saw, the people you met. Sometimes it’s good to choose school second.

But don’t be an idiot. School is important. Don’t always take the easy bird courses. Take the courses that interest you. This will motivate you to do your work as you enjoy what you’re learning. It’s a weird feeling to look forward to going to school but this is the time where learning can be fun.

You’re not as fat as you think. Trust me. Stop worrying and eat what you want. Skip the gym it’s not a big deal. Be lazy it’s okay! Get the burger. Body image is bullshit. Society makes you feel fat, not the burger.

Motivate and believe in yourself as much as Kanye West motivates himself.

Trust your parents. Your mom literally carried you for nine months. She’s not going to screw you up. She’s probably right about that boy he’s not worth it. And she is most definitely right about that friend that you won’t even remember her name in two years.

Keep a journal. Write down everything. How that person made you feel. How the sky was topaz and the air was damp. What he was wearing when he kissed you and you felt like this could be it. That drunken night where you sang at the top of you lungs with your best friend at 3am. The pride you felt when you did something right. The feeling of pure bliss when seeing something so magnificent and new. Write about your dreams. Realistic or not.

People change, memories don’t.

Smile at everyone. Whether it be a friend, a person, a stranger, or to yourself.

Don’t try tool hard to try to figure out your career. It will come to you. Don’t do something because you can. Do it because you want to. Don’t do it because it’ll make you a good living. You’ll be miserable getting out of bed.

Though someone necessarily doesn’t say “I love you”, they say it in other ways. Just be observant.

One of the most terrifying but exhilarating things in life is that anything can change in an instant. You could move across the world, shave your head, or quit your job just like that. Enjoy life

TRAVEL. Do it while you are young. You may be broke after but you’ll be rich in other ways.

Just remember. You’re going to be okay. Life has a weird way of figuring itself out.

Say it again. You will be okay. 

ROBIN RADOMSKI IS A CAFFEINE AND POP CULTURE DEPENDENT LIFE-FORM. SHE LOVES FEASTING ON POUTINE, STALKING ONE DIRECTION, AND BINGING ON NETFLIX. WHEN SHE’S NOT TRYING TO STUFF HER MOUTH WITH A BURGER LARGER THAN HER FACE, SHE IS AN AVID INSTAGRAMMER. FOLLOW HER LIFE ON INSTAGRAM (@RRAD) AND TWITTER (@ROBINRADOMSKI).
Kellie Anderson is incredibly proud and excited to be Western Ontario's Campus Correspondent for the 2015-2016 year. She is currently in her fourth year of Media Information & Technoculture, and has an overflowing passion for creative writing. While Kellie loves to get wildly creative while writing fictional short stories, she has found that her true passion is in shedding light towards hard-hitting topics like Mental Illness - she believes that writing is the best healer. Kellie has some pretty BIG plans for her future and can't wait to graduate as a Her Campus Alumni! You can contact her at kellieanderson@hercampus.com.